1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the flow most likely wont be an issue but i do suggest a large pore sponge over it just in case. Besides that, the fluval works well and looks very nice as it is rimless and is just one persons preference, they didnt tell you to buy it just gave you a look at their build thread to compare with.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know what's wrong with me but I love Noahs' threads! It's like being at Canadas Wonderland and going on every ride back to back to back to back........

BTW Noah, have you taken your Ritalin or not? ;)
I know I keep getting drawn back to his threads lol

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bill Hader Popcorn GIF

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
softies and gorgs dont like too much light or flow depending on what you have so keep that in mind

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
first of all your filters 200gph more than that powerhead which is a lot, and second, this is saltwater, not fresh. very, very different. the filter on my 29 cube is about 300gph.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its Adjustable too I can lower it. I’m gonna get a powerhead 400 gph and have the filter running as low as possible so like 600 gph will be what it’s at

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP already said used equipment is out. That means a used Radion gen 2 is out as well.

Besides, you don't need Radion. I actually don't like them at all. They're ridiculously overpriced and aren't all that especially when compared with other known brands.

You also don't NEED any expensive LED to grow corals. I've seen some tanks running Radions that looked like crap while the other tanks running on cheap black boxes that grew corals like crazy. The lighting choice doesn't mean you'll have a guarantee of a successful reef. Hell I built my own LEDs for less than $100 10 years ago and grew SPS just fine.

tank_full.jpg

But what the OP needs to realize though that lighting a reef means you need to pick the right kind of lighting (think full spectrum) where the light can provide the corals with the right spectrum for sustenance and growth. Not any flood light will do.

It's a bit too early for ordering livestock already when the tank hasn't even been set up yet. You need to slow way down and plan accordingly. I know you are excited and all but this is not something that can be rushed.

And saying you're just going to ignore the thread because you disagree with some of the suggestions seem rather rude and immature. I know you're only 13 and all but have some consideration for the people who took the time to contribute to the thread to help you. If you already knew everything you needed to know then why even post and ask for suggestions or help? Learn some humility, it will go a long way in this hobby and in life in general.

I've been reefing since 2006 and I still don't know everything.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did it to a petco 10 gallon and the glass still bows out a bit which is crazy and risky on my part for still using it. Yep put it on either side to get the most out of the flow. They dont want sps guys just a low tech softie and macro tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back