1st reef tank, needs to be done cheap (I keep freshwater planted ecosystem aquariums)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the mud down first then the plates and the sand and crushed coral on top of the plates.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My plan is to make it as little maintenance as possible because I am starting high school next school year so I need to focus on that but I want to start a reef in my fish room

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also would weathered beach wood be a bad idea? I want to have lots of organic matter like there is in a tidal zone where things wash up and lots of soft corals live b/c the high nutrients ans also the organic stuff will make areas for like microfauna such as sand fleas and coquina shells to hide

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he Have setup guides or anything? I might revise my stocking to 2 clarkii a hawk fish a blenny or goby a scooter dragonet and a couple schoolers or something

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this? this has lots of fish I want in it. If I could have lots of like micro predator hunters and inverts I’d be so happy. I don’t want like fish that hide 99.99% of the time so micropredstors that look like jawfish and other things like barnacle blenny would be very cool

RipVanWinkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn’t seem like you’re asking for any advice in this thread, instead you’re just telling all the experienced people they’re wrong and skimmers are snake oil, and you seem to know what you’re doing already.

Father fish doesn’t know **** about reefing so I don’t know why you reference him over and over.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he approaches reefing better than most people, you aren’t supposed to do things artificaly. This person has no Advanced stuff and a 50 year old thriving tank

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Father fish has a very healthy naturalistic reef which isn’t like filled to the brim with coral but that isn’t how it is always in nature.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does he Have setup guides or anything? I might revise my stocking to 2 clarkii a hawk fish a blenny or goby a scooter dragonet and a couple schoolers or something
Tank birthday, 47+ years @Paul B .Check out this thread. He talks about it, and I think he might have a video, but he will answer questions.
I know it works because I've done it before and I'm getting ready to redo my 125 with the under gravel filtration system.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75 minimum size hob I can use and it’s going to have reverse UG and powerheads. I’m going to try to stagger the hob so it makes waves. I don’t care about corals as much as I care about things like copeopods and microfauna and macroalgae so my fish that eat inverts can eat the microfauna. My plan now after reading some articles is to do a Paul b structure with the mortar and pvc then I’m going to add live rock for even more area for microfauna and bacteria and coralline. so it’s going to be like a drop off. I will try making a diagram for it.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is this? this has lots of fish I want in it. If I could have lots of like micro predator hunters and inverts I’d be so happy. I don’t want like fish that hide 99.99% of the time so micropredstors that look like jawfish and other things like barnacle blenny would be very cool

That is a target feeder for mandrins. It is for feeding brine shrimp babies to the mandrins and other slow feeders.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so the back will be a wall of LR then here’s the diagram
E4B9D187-532E-4680-BECD-FDF5F1937CE9.jpeg
blue =flow green red = plant yellow = substrate yellow on rock = coral

Status
Not open for further replies.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back