1st tank start up

dropthepuck56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am starting my first real saltwater tank. 55 gallons with a 10 gallon sump/refugium. I bought live aragonite sand and new dry rock. I did not wash either as my RO/DI system is producing water at a painfully slow rate (1 gallon per hour). Im about half way through filling it, and of course its very cloudy. Did i screw myself by not washing anything? Or will i be able to clear this up with the filtration.

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be able to clear it with filtration. I don't think it is a bacterial bloom. In addition, not sure it was not meant to be read as washing the live sand, but never rinse the live sand because that has live bacteria needed for cycling.

OP
OP
dropthepuck56

dropthepuck56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll be able to clear it with filtration. I don't think it is a bacterial bloom. In addition, not sure it was not meant to be read as washing the live sand, but never rinse the live sand because that has live bacteria needed for cycling.
Ok perfect, thats what i thought. The water is so cloudy that i was second guessing myself. Thanks!

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am starting my first real saltwater tank. 55 gallons with a 10 gallon sump/refugium. I bought live aragonite sand and new dry rock. I did not wash either as my RO/DI system is producing water at a painfully slow rate (1 gallon per hour). Im about half way through filling it, and of course its very cloudy. Did i screw myself by not washing anything? Or will i be able to clear this up with the filtration.
Welcome to R2R! You could have washed it in Tap water as well. But it will clear up with time.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! No worries about the cloudy water. Happens to just about everyone.

OP
OP
dropthepuck56

dropthepuck56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! You could have washed it in Tap water as well. But it will clear up with time.
Thanks! I was very hesitant to clean the rocks with tap water but I suppose they were “dead” anyway so whats the harm

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I was very hesitant to clean the rocks with tap water but I suppose they were “dead” anyway so whats the harm
Yea, plus the residual water you would have gotten from the Tap, wouldn't have made any difference. Its all good, just give it time!

Oropher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Please go slow, really slow on your first journey.
Normally new ppl will jump to many things too soon.
We're here should you need to discuss about almost everything there is to reefing, maybe more LOL

Happy reefing.

OP
OP
dropthepuck56

dropthepuck56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R.

Please go slow, really slow on your first journey.
Normally new ppl will jump to many things too soon.
We're here should you need to discuss about almost everything there is to reefing, maybe more LOL

Happy reefing.
Thanks, i did months worth of research and happy I found this site as I'm sure ill have more questions.

wonroc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your taking all the precautions.... Why rinse with tap. Check the pressure on the rodi and wash the rocks with that next time. The dust though is the sand. After months of water changes you will get rid of that super fine dust.

OP
OP
dropthepuck56

dropthepuck56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your taking all the precautions.... Why rinse with tap. Check the pressure on the rodi and wash the rocks with that next time. The dust though is the sand. After months of water changes you will get rid of that super fine dust.
Thanks! It just needed a couple days, crystal clear now.
0AAF83F7-1F69-4A74-BB5E-6E87B6CCA583.jpeg

OP
OP
dropthepuck56

dropthepuck56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what kind of algae this is? Tank is pretty new, i know to expect a lot of different algae until it matures but this stuff is nasty

Attachments

• E0E4CF0B-D089-4D63-A467-40E5F1601A2F.jpeg
    E0E4CF0B-D089-4D63-A467-40E5F1601A2F.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 16

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back