1st timer quarantine - tips?

Tomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please excuse my ramble as I finish my morning coffee while trying to think through this process.

Tank:
75g established and fully cycled. Parameters have been close to if not perfectly ideal for sometime now
Ph: 7.8
Phos: 0.25
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78-79

We added a bonded pair of midnight clowns (Bonnie + Clyde) from our LFS just about 1 month ago. (did not quarantine, just 1 hour drip acclimated).

We are now battling something. Not sure which disease it is. We have set up a 20g quarantine tank as well as a 10 gallon dip tank.

Last night was the first treatment. At the top of our diagnostic guesses is either brook or flukes. I did a formaldehyde dip last night (was really cool, some slim coat with white specs almost instantly came off) for 30 mintues then transfered to quarantine tank. Everyone is still alive and maintaining this morning.

My question to the way more knowledgeable peeps here is, what disease do you think it is? How many treatments do you typically do? The littlest clown was patient 0 and I believe will need more then 1 treatment. Both clowns were jet black (except for the faces) when we got them. ySode point: yes, I understand now I should not have dragged my feet at setting up a proper quarantine system for new additions. This won't happen again.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Video is during treatment https://youtube.com/shorts/oV0A5dh8gxk?feature=share7
Pictures are this morning, post treatment. Orange face(Bonnie) is already looking better. PXL_20230612_114947424.jpg PXL_20230612_114951563.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230612_000349971.TS.mp4
    58.4 MB
Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Please excuse my ramble as I finish my morning coffee while trying to think through this process.

Tank:
75g established and fully cycled. Parameters have been close to if not perfectly ideal for sometime now
Ph: 7.8
Phos: 0.25
Amm: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
Salinity: 1.025
Temp: 78-79

We added a bonded pair of midnight clowns (Bonnie + Clyde) from our LFS just about 1 month ago. (did not quarantine, just 1 hour drip acclimated).

We are now battling something. Not sure which disease it is. We have set up a 20g quarantine tank as well as a 10 gallon dip tank.

Last night was the first treatment. At the top of our diagnostic guesses is either brook or flukes. I did a formaldehyde dip last night (was really cool, some slim coat with white specs almost instantly came off) for 30 mintues then transfered to quarantine tank. Everyone is still alive and maintaining this morning.

My question to the way more knowledgeable peeps here is, what disease do you think it is? How many treatments do you typically do? The littlest clown was patient 0 and I believe will need more then 1 treatment. Both clowns were jet black (except for the faces) when we got them. ySode point: yes, I understand now I should not have dragged my feet at setting up a proper quarantine system for new additions. This won't happen again.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

Video is during treatment
Pictures are this morning, post treatment. Orange face(Bonnie) is already looking better. PXL_20230612_114947424.jpg PXL_20230612_114951563.jpg
Video does not play but in still pics, the one clown looks to have ich. Now that its in QT which is good. Treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off

OP
OP
T

Tomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video does not play but in still pics, the one clown looks to have ich. Now that its in QT which is good. Treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off
Thanks man. I uploaded the video to YouTube in hopes that will help. I hear a lot of crap about API test kits guess I'll be changing that out! Lol Display tank has CUC only until this is done. Thanks again

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks man. I uploaded the video to YouTube in hopes that will help. I hear a lot of crap about API test kits guess I'll be changing that out! Lol Display tank has CUC only until this is done. Thanks again
Hanna and Salifert brands are more reliable kits

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ooops - pics were placed onto wrong thread and removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interestingly, they are already looking better. 5 hours has passed between when I took the 1st photo this morning and just now. I haven't changed anything other then turning the power head on.

Attachments

• PXL_20230612_171310520.jpg
    PXL_20230612_171310520.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 29
  • PXL_20230612_171245619.jpg
    PXL_20230612_171245619.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 32

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Interestingly, they are already looking better. 5 hours has passed between when I took the 1st photo this morning and just now. I haven't changed anything other then turning the power head on.
May be coincidentally but if parasitical, many will drop off for reproduction but keep an eye on them to confirm no return in the next 48 hours.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think the improvement seen after the formalin dip (be careful doing those, that stuff is toxic!) implies that this may be Brooklynella.

You can manage it with formalin dips, and/or you can dose the QT with formalin at a lower dose.

What formalin product do you have?

Jay

OP
OP
T

Tomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the improvement seen after the formalin dip (be careful doing those, that stuff is toxic!) implies that this may be Brooklynella.

You can manage it with formalin dips, and/or you can dose the QT with formalin at a lower dose.

What formalin product do you have?

Jay
I agree that it is likely a parasite of some kind.
Everything that was researched seemed to belive that if it was brooklynella everything should be dead by now. First symptoms were noticed about 7-10 days ago. Maybe it helps having a healthy tank?

My formalin is a buffered 10% (methanol).

Dosing range I used was from the study performed at the University of Florida for a short-term higher concentration bath.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is likely a parasite of some kind.
Everything that was researched seemed to belive that if it was brooklynella everything should be dead by now. First symptoms were noticed about 7-10 days ago. Maybe it helps having a healthy tank?

My formalin is a buffered 10% (methanol).

Dosing range I used was from the study performed at the University of Florida for a short-term higher concentration bath.
Good, that’s the formalin you want to use. The trouble with short term high dose baths is when you put the fish back in the tank there is a good chance it will become reinfected.
The UofF info is mostly written be Dr. Roy, and that is very accurate info.

Jay

OP
OP
T

Tomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good, that’s the formalin you want to use. The trouble with short term high dose baths is when you put the fish back in the tank there is a good chance it will become reinfected.
The UofF info is mostly written be Dr. Roy, and that is very accurate info.

Jay
Yea! I love UF I'm so glad to have that kind of information at the ready. I didn't realize how much common medication used in veterinary medicine can also be used in aquariums!

So do you support the long-term bath idea? We've been kicking around the low dose in the quarantine tank idea all day. The fishys don't seem overly stressed (thank goodness) yet. I'd like to make sure they're nice and safe before reintroducing.

We've got the light off in the display tank until we add the fish back (in 90ish days) . There is some tpye of 'thing' I've noticed on the glass. Being new to the hobby I'm not good at identifying anything not sure if it's a flatworm or what.

IMG-20230606-WA0002.jpg IMG-20230606-WA0003.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea! I love UF I'm so glad to have that kind of information at the ready. I didn't realize how much common medication used in veterinary medicine can also be used in aquariums!

So do you support the long-term bath idea? We've been kicking around the low dose in the quarantine tank idea all day. The fishys don't seem overly stressed (thank goodness) yet. I'd like to make sure they're nice and safe before reintroducing.

We've got the light off in the display tank until we add the fish back (in 90ish days) . There is some tpye of 'thing' I've noticed on the glass. Being new to the hobby I'm not good at identifying anything not sure if it's a flatworm or what.

IMG-20230606-WA0002.jpg IMG-20230606-WA0003.jpg
I think those are mostly harmless flatworms - name is convotriloba or something like that. They can be coral pests, they can cover corals.

Formalin can be used at 25 ppm of the net volume of the tank daily with good aeration. Math is: actual gallons of water times 25 divided by 266 = milliliters of formalin.

Jay

OP
OP
T

Tomo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think those are mostly harmless flatworms - name is convotriloba or something like that. They can be coral pests, they can cover corals.

Formalin can be used at 25 ppm of the net volume of the tank daily with good aeration. Math is: actual gallons of water times 25 divided by 266 = milliliters of formalin.

Jay
Nice. Thank you Jay I love all the support here!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back