Rapid and seemingly random death

Travis8896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my clowns for close to 4 years now. They were both up and swimming acting normal and even have a batch of eggs They laid this week.

Last night I went to lay my daughter down for bed, we said good night to the fish (I saw both clowns acting normally) and then when I come out 15 min later my female clownfish(Bonnie) is laying on the bottom taking her Last breathes. No physical signs of injury or disease.

Api test kit so numbers are approx. But everything was normal ph 8.2 Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate all 0 or barely distinguishable between 0 and the next color level.

I haven't added any new fish since April, I dip all incoming corals. I did not do anything differently today other than reach into the tank to sell a few frags around noon.

All other livestock seem to be acting normal and fine, other than Clyde (the male clownfish) he seems a little more distressed and irritated. He is being extra protective over the eggs.

The remaining fish include:
Blue hippo tang, yellow tang, Japanese swallowtail angelfish, starry blenny, yellow watchman goby, the male clown.

20211223_194353.jpg 20211223_194345.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had my clowns for close to 4 years now. They were both up and swimming acting normal and even have a batch of eggs They laid this week.

Last night I went to lay my daughter down for bed, we said good night to the fish (I saw both clowns acting normally) and then when I come out 15 min later my female clownfish(Bonnie) is laying on the bottom taking her Last breathes. No physical signs of injury or disease.

Api test kit so numbers are approx. But everything was normal ph 8.2 Ammonia Nitrite and Nitrate all 0 or barely distinguishable between 0 and the next color level.

I haven't added any new fish since April, I dip all incoming corals. I did not do anything differently today other than reach into the tank to sell a few frags around noon.

All other livestock seem to be acting normal and fine, other than Clyde (the male clownfish) he seems a little more distressed and irritated. He is being extra protective over the eggs.

The remaining fish include:
Blue hippo tang, yellow tang, Japanese swallowtail angelfish, starry blenny, yellow watchman goby, the male clown.

20211223_194353.jpg 20211223_194345.jpg

Here is one hypothesis: the female clown developed some internal issue from laying eggs and succumbed. The male is agitated due to losing its mate. If the other fish in the tank remain symptom free and the male settles down, I think you would go with that. Watch the remaining fish closely, but since the corals are fine, you can rule out water quality issues and if the other fish remain fine, then communicable disease can be ruled out as well.

Jay

Rocklefrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My male died out of nowhere last night too all good when I went to bed and woke up to sound of him stuck in primary drain. Super bummed. Sorry for your loss.

Rocklefrag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent 2 hours in middle of night testing only to find good parameters. Losing fish sucks, especially when you can’t get any answers as to why. Hopefully eggs will hatch and you can keep some.

OP
OP
T

Travis8896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is one hypothesis: the female clown developed some internal issue from laying eggs and succumbed. The male is agitated due to losing its mate. If the other fish in the tank remain symptom free and the male settles down, I think you would go with that. Watch the remaining fish closely, but since the corals are fine, you can rule out water quality issues and if the other fish remain fine, then communicable disease can be ruled out as well.

Jay
I appreciate the insight, this is where I'm leaning towards. The male has calmed down quite a bit, still extra protective but not frantically. No other fish is showing signs and I tested waters twice with api, and will be testing tomorrow with Hannahs.

OP
OP
T

Travis8896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man bad night for clowns... @Rocklefrag im sorry about yours! And I did the same thing stayed up testing and monitoring.

Sadly I doubt any eggs would survive they are very fragile and require special care. They've laid many clutches before and none have survived, but it would be very cool if it happened this time!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 46.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 50 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.3%
  • None.

Votes: 25 26.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.6%
Back