OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my 5 gallon I'm doing about 1.5 gallons every Saturday and it's doing great. I thought about doing it twice a week but I thought that might be a little to much

Yeah a 30% change per week might be pretty good, I have been thinking about it the last couple days, I might just try a 3 cup, or 5% water change every other day after feedings, that way excess food will be coming out at that time, and water will remain as steady as possible with that frequent of changes, and it'd only be a 1.25 g per week change, so pretty much along the lines of what you're doing except im at a slightly lesser water volume so it'd be slightly less total volume changed per week.

I have a 2.6 Fluval spec III. Got it for $4 at listen. A steal!

Sick! It's hard to beat deals like this right?? Already spent WAY more on corals and lighting than I did on the tank/sand/rock/pumps/lid and future expenditure on fish lol! Made a trip tonight about bought some zoas for the tank, got 7 zoas and 2 paly's (not sure if the paly's will go in the pico)... as well as a bunch of stuff for my main DT. All went into the DT for now until I get my lights up and running sometime this week! Still waiting on my bulb to come in the mail. Will post more pictures, specifically of the light/stand build, finally, the day that it does!

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great 'scape!

Thanks! As you can see, it took 2 attempts haha.

I will definitely check it out!!

I can't wait to see pictures of the light/stand! I want to do something different with my 5

Unfortunately I checked my tracking today and it doesn't look like my bulb will be here until Sept. 6th =( Here is to hoping it gets here before then! I thought for sure since it shipped from California, it wouldnt take more than a week to get to Kansas, usually things like 3-4 days.

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'm saying, I'm pretty new at this so I don't have much in the tanks yet!

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a thing happened today....! My light came in afterall, before the expected Tuesday delivery. So of course I immediately went to work on on building the little stand/fixture.. here are the photos of the finished product, looks more blue in the pictures than in person, maybe once corals are in I will pull out some gel filters haha. The light is hanging 14" above the water at the moment, the total water depth is about 9.5" (I read online that someone else had 15" of water and people were all recommending to hang the light 9-12" above the water for his case). This whole light set-up cost me about $30!

I also got lucky with a hook-up on a yasha goby and red-banded pistol shrimp combo, as well as a ball of chaeto for $35! Usually a $50 fish and $25 shrimp alone! I for sure had to abandon the neon dottyback idea and go with this little pair! I will post pictures of them as soon as they are more comfortable and start to show themselves some. They were acclimated and added to the tank, the lights are off for the night anyways. I will be adding chaeto in the middle section of the built in sump inside a little egg crate cage tomorrow. Will post pics of that when i do it as well. Don't mind the sloppy lid, I will be trimming it before long to fit more accurately along the edges, as well as making holes for cables/ some air along the back edge.
Pico 9-3-16 #1.JPG
Pico 9-3-16 #2.JPG

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a thing happened today....! My light came in afterall, before the expected Tuesday delivery. So of course I immediately went to work on on building the little stand/fixture.. here are the photos of the finished product, looks more blue in the pictures than in person, maybe once corals are in I will pull out some gel filters haha. I also got lucky with a hook-up on a yasha goby and red-banded pistol shrimp combo, as well as a ball of chaeto for $35! Usually a $50 fish and $25 shrimp alone! I for sure had to abandon the neon dottyback idea and go with this little pair! I will post pictures of them as soon as they are more comfortable and start to show themselves some. They were acclimated and added to the tank, the lights are off for the night anyways. I will be adding chaeto in the middle section of the built in sump inside a little egg crate cage tomorrow. Will post pics of that when i do it as well. Don't mind the sloppy lid, I will be trimming it before long to fit more accurately along the edges, as well as making holes for cables/ some air along the back edge.
Pico 9-3-16 #1.JPG
Pico 9-3-16 #2.JPG
I really like that man! Needs show me how to make that. I'm thinking of grabbing other small tank to feed a green mandarin until I can put him in my big. Then use that tank as just a small coral tank. I really like that light man, I'm jealous. How much did it run you

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like that man! Needs show me how to make that. I'm thinking of grabbing other small tank to feed a green mandarin until I can put him in my big. Then use that tank as just a small coral tank. I really like that light man, I'm jealous. How much did it run you

Thanks! I edited my post to add a couple more details vs its original form to give hanging height and cost

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a thing happened today....! My light came in afterall, before the expected Tuesday delivery. So of course I immediately went to work on on building the little stand/fixture.. here are the photos of the finished product, looks more blue in the pictures than in person, maybe once corals are in I will pull out some gel filters haha. The light is hanging 14" above the water at the moment, the total water depth is about 9.5" (I read online that someone else had 15" of water and people were all recommending to hang the light 9-12" above the water for his case). This whole light set-up cost me about $30!

I also got lucky with a hook-up on a yasha goby and red-banded pistol shrimp combo, as well as a ball of chaeto for $35! Usually a $50 fish and $25 shrimp alone! I for sure had to abandon the neon dottyback idea and go with this little pair! I will post pictures of them as soon as they are more comfortable and start to show themselves some. They were acclimated and added to the tank, the lights are off for the night anyways. I will be adding chaeto in the middle section of the built in sump inside a little egg crate cage tomorrow. Will post pics of that when i do it as well. Don't mind the sloppy lid, I will be trimming it before long to fit more accurately along the edges, as well as making holes for cables/ some air along the back edge.
Pico 9-3-16 #1.JPG
Pico 9-3-16 #2.JPG

Awesome!

OP
OP
trevorspencer94

trevorspencer94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm probably about to try and do something like this. You made the stand to right ?

Yeah, the stand is just wiring conduit and I used an extension cord and ran it through the conduit, made an opening with a holesaw and attached the bulb to a fixture that connects to the extension cord inside the conduit through the hole I cut in it. I was able to find a plug in light bulb connection, worked perfectly for this.

Benedetto84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the stand is just wiring conduit and I used an extension cord and ran it through the conduit, made an opening with a holesaw and attached the bulb to a fixture that connects to the extension cord inside the conduit through the hole I cut in it. I was able to find a plug in light bulb connection, worked perfectly for this.
Looks like it was perfect for it dude, really like the way the whole setup looks! I need to check your other threads!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 77.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back