2 clownfish with a pair of mandarin fish in a 30 gallon

krit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I keep two black storm ocellaris clownfish with 2 mandarin fish? My tank will be 30
Galllons and the mandarin fish I’m buying are trained to eat pellet/frozen food already. I haven’t yet setup a tank and any advice as to what I would need in there and what to avoid would be great , thanks

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I keep two black storm ocellaris clownfish with 2 mandarin fish? My tank will be 30
Galllons and the mandarin fish I’m buying are trained to eat pellet/frozen food already. I haven’t yet setup a tank and any advice as to what I would need in there and what to avoid would be great , thanks
They should be fine. Still u can keep an close eye on them for few days but they should be fine together. Mandarin need copepods population or zooplankton.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
K

krit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi the mandarins I’m buying are trained to eat pellets but the only thing I’m unsure about is if the mandarins will be ok with just pellets
They should be fine. Still u can keep an close eye on them for few days but they should be fine together. Mandarin need copepods population or zooplankton.

Upvote 0

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do I keep a sustaining population in a new tank?
Apex-Pods r best. U can add 1 jar in your tank. For sometime u can feed them phytoplankton. I didn't hv personal experience as I got pods through a piece of rocks. In well established tank,detritus and algae r there food but your tank is new so they probably starve. U can feed mandarin frozen or pellets but they seem happy with pods population.

Upvote 0

Rugops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could also start a white worm culture too. All you need is bread and yogurt, leave it in a cool place and they'll just make more worms. I find that it is really irresistible to finicky fish but this is what I would do.

Upvote 0

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi the mandarins I’m buying are trained to eat pellets but the only thing I’m unsure about is if the mandarins will be ok with just pellets
These fish will be a definite challenge, and even if they've been "trained" to eat pellets. While some mandarins eventually do eat prepared foods (mine would eat mysis), 'pods are their natural and main food source, and any other food items that are eaten should be considered a nutritional bonus. It's also a very hit-or-miss process: my local supplier of captive-bred gobies stopped selling them because of the extremely high starvation rate, and even when they had been "trained" to feed on processed foods.

You should also be prepared to spot-feed them with a pipette; clownfish are much more aggressive, and will often eat food before the mandarins can reach them.

Put some halymenia or chaeto in a sump if you want to cultivate your own 'pod population. Macroalgae makes an excellent nursery for them.

Upvote 0

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im skeptical about the mandarins that are "trained" to eat prepared foods (biota) In my opinion the tank should be cycled (obviously) but also have a mature and established collection of microfauna. You could seed it with pods and wait a while then you'll know you have the right setup for a mandarin. You should be able to re seed copepod populations as well. With one mandarin I re seed monthly. With (2) mandarins they will deplete your supply of copepods in a 30g quickly even if they are eating prepared foods. This is just how they are. Think of it as a fun thing, setup a copepod culture jar, its easy, start culturing and seeding the tank (this will also help with your cycle phase a lot) I urge you to think of adding this fish as a reward to yourself when you can with 100% confidence say you're ready to keep that fish. The fact that you are asking this question is a great start some people would just jump the gun and get the fish, then think they are doing a great job caring for the fish because 2 months seems like a long time and then it dies because its slowly been starving to death.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back