2 dragonettes in a 90?

siPECTINIA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my mind on getting some dragonettes sometime soon, is it alright to get two different kinds? Like one of the green spotted ones and a red Mandarin? And would they be ok in a 90?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,how old is tank,need well established pod population,they eat all day long,also 2 males known to fight

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the age of the system, chances are you won't have enough pods to feed both. You will most likely need to supplement with pods for a while, or find a way to train them to eat pellets/frozen food such as brine etc.

OP
OP
siPECTINIA

siPECTINIA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the age of the system, chances are you won't have enough pods to feed both. You will most likely need to supplement with pods for a while, or find a way to train them to eat pellets/frozen food such as brine etc.
Wait do they eat amphipods as well cause I have a lot of those
And I'm not planning on getting them anytime here soon just sometime in the future

SifuMemphis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possible, but those 2 fish eat 24/7. They non stop pick at pods etc in the tank. Eventually, they can run out. Just make sure to supplement some pods if you can, it will help.

Some people say even well-established tanks up for 1 year isn't enough.

Fishurama

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can do 2 in a 90. Yes you can mix and match. That doesn't mean they will get along even if they are different sexes and pair up. I have a female Psychedelic and a male Scooter along with an ornate leopard wrasse and Dusky wrasse. All pod eaters. Seed your tank heavily for a month. Make sure you see them in the DT and sump. They can and will eat hundreds of pods a day a lot. A single bottle from reef nutrition has 2000-3000 if a remember correctly. If you can cultivate them i would(buy or also cultivate live phyoto) You will also need to add pods monthly. Algaebarn or Reef Nutrition are both good pods ive used.
This is my male and female. This is around when i first got them. Mr. Gentleman is defending her while she eats from my snowflake eel, notice how he wont eat where she eats.

This is them now, sorry for the dirty glass, was waterchange day when i took it. Notice the male defending the female from the Lawnmower blenny. So if they do pair up, there will be some slight aggression. My male is not scared at least LOL.

Last edited:

HockeyRooster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to lurk here as I am getting a captive bred green mandarin next week. I have a 90 and have been strongly considering getting 2.
the one I’m getting is captive bred and already eating frozen and pellets at the lfs (just arrived in the store today). ive added 5 8oz bottles of copepods and rotifers over the last few months. Dosing phyto as well. I’m culturing white worms and will hatch some live brine shrimp too. Hoping to have enough food for one or two.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

;) . Your dragonets can thank me by spawning and having you send the eggs to where I am so I can raise the fry. Buy the book, support a good foundation, and learn how to make a brine shrimp feeder for benthic fish like mandarin dragonets!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 48.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 12 29.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back