2 Fish Wipeouts

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had what I thought was brooks 8 weeks ago pulled the fish out managed to save one in quarantine did both copper and flukes treatment. Had about 6 fish all died within a week other than the 1 clown. I bought another clown to pair in quarantine and all went well had them together for 4 weeks. Added them back to the main display that had no fish in for 8 weeks just corals and inverts. The original clown died in 24 hours and the new one is 72 hours. What is wrong with this tank? Surely brooks couldn’t survive for 8 weeks and kill fish again that quickly? I have posted my water parameters along with my test result from my water that I sent off after the first wipeout. There is no ammonia, salinity at 1.024 and the temp is 25 degrees.

AA11BB8D-BF66-4C42-9ED5-1FC5C0DB161C.png 8A221B87-50DF-47D8-9E3A-AA594D33FE2D.png 80974179-02D3-4988-9117-2E55FF41425D.png E207FA84-DD96-43D2-AD23-A8761D810F24.png

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper isn't the best treatment for brook but I would have thought you to have seen brook on the fish before they died.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They were dripped in like normal and were fine to start

But was the difference in salinity between the two tanks far off? If they were, fish need quite a bit of time to acclimate (i.e. days). That is the only thing I can think of. Unless the fish had visible signs of something wrong.

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper isn't the best treatment for brook but I would have thought you to have seen brook on the fish before they died.
When we posted on here people though brooks was what it was and to treat with copper it did seem to work the surviving fish was in the quarantine tank for a good 4 weeks swimming around eating and happy then died in the first 24 hours of the new tank

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But was the difference in salinity between the two tanks far off? If they were, fish need quite a bit of time to acclimate (i.e. days). That is the only thing I can think of. Unless the fish had visible signs of something wrong.
just checked and the salinity in the quarantine is 1.025 so only a 0.001 difference

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So from the results I have posted and explanation of what happened there is no one who knows what is happening? Looks like it will be a tank tear down

Hungrypede

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tear down isn’t needed.

I was in your shoes once a couple years ago. After a non QT introduction our clowns broke out in what we thought was brook. Everyone got moved to QT. The clowns passed while in QT, but some other fish survived. We fallowed for the recommended 6 weeks +1 week.

Introduced the fish back in and started losing fish within a few days. This time velvet seemed to be the culprit. Especially considering how quickly the fish were dying.

QT’d fish and fallowed for 76 days. Careful of cross contamination and had no coral/inverts introduced to DT.

Got velvet again.

90 days fallow. Seemed to do the trick, and a lesson learned on quarantining fish.

I’d recommend a longer fallow.

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tear down isn’t needed.

I was in your shoes once a couple years ago. After a non QT introduction our clowns broke out in what we thought was brook. Everyone got moved to QT. The clowns passed while in QT, but some other fish survived. We fallowed for the recommended 6 weeks +1 week.

Introduced the fish back in and started losing fish within a few days. This time velvet seemed to be the culprit. Especially considering how quickly the fish were dying.

QT’d fish and fallowed for 76 days. Careful of cross contamination and had no coral/inverts introduced to DT.

Got velvet again.

90 days fallow. Seemed to do the trick, and a lesson learned on quarantining fish.

I’d recommend a longer fallow.
90 days fallow? We have had someone message us also saying to try 1 more fish to make sure there wasn’t something wrong with the clowns before. We could try 90 days fallow but just thought how quickly they died after going in that it couldn’t be to do with the same as last time and why we thought it might of been a water issue that we can’t put our figure on

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had what I thought was brooks 8 weeks ago pulled the fish out managed to save one in quarantine did both copper and flukes treatment. Had about 6 fish all died within a week other than the 1 clown. I bought another clown to pair in quarantine and all went well had them together for 4 weeks. Added them back to the main display that had no fish in for 8 weeks just corals and inverts. The original clown died in 24 hours and the new one is 72 hours. What is wrong with this tank? Surely brooks couldn’t survive for 8 weeks and kill fish again that quickly? I have posted my water parameters along with my test result from my water that I sent off after the first wipeout. There is no ammonia, salinity at 1.024 and the temp is 25 degrees.

AA11BB8D-BF66-4C42-9ED5-1FC5C0DB161C.png 8A221B87-50DF-47D8-9E3A-AA594D33FE2D.png 80974179-02D3-4988-9117-2E55FF41425D.png E207FA84-DD96-43D2-AD23-A8761D810F24.png

Copper does not treat brook... I believe it can suppress it.. not cure.

OP
OP
S

Stoatee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper does not treat brook... I believe it can suppress it.. not cure.
What does treat it? We had them in water without copper but instead a treatment for flukes for 4 weeks after 4 weeks in copper and the clown that survived stayed in good health and eating and the new clown seems to also be okay

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does treat it? We had them in water without copper but instead a treatment for flukes for 4 weeks after 4 weeks in copper and the clown that survived stayed in good health and eating and the new clown seems to also be okay

Formalin followed by CP or Metro

Everything is stickied in the top of this forum

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back