2 heaters?

reefguy40gal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you guys run heaters in your sumps as well as inside your main tank?

I'm not sure what kind of heater I'm running....but it's in the main tank. Heater was given to me along with tank.

Am concerned that due to cold winter mornings (as cold as cold can be here in Orange County, CA) the water in the sump will get cold.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 Jaggers in my 75. I have a pellet stove in my basement but it broke last winter and never had the money to fix it. I froze but had a 200 and a 250 on a apex and my tank was fine. The rest of the house has heat but my room in the basement is only the pellet stove. Jaggers seem to be one of the better heaters. I run both of them in my sump

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always run mine in the sump. I hate looking at heaters in the DT. I've become a big fan of the finnex titanium heaters with digital controller. Otherwise, the eheim heaters are the only ones I've had decent luck with

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60ish...outside temp in OC is not really that cold. Your home heater would compensate for the cooler ambient temp fluctuations. OC spring/summer Temps of up to 100+ are what I would be more worried out. We live in North Santa Barbara county and had that heat wave you went through also. My tank Temps got up to 82 with outside heat wave Temps of 100 to 105...so ice bags in the sump helped us out.

We use Finnex..titanium heater with controller are very good we have that in the sump, we also keep a Fluval.E-series heater hidden in the overflow box of DT set at 76.5 to 77 degrees as backup. It will only come on if the tank temp down below the APEX parameters

Last edited:

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep all of my heaters in my sump. As long as your return pump is turning over your tank volume at least 3-5x per hour, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the Chicagoland area so winters can be cold. I run a 2nd heater in the sump during the winter months. I like the idea of a backup in case of a failure.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 93 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back