2 Mandarins in 125 gallon?

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to keep a pair of mandarins in my planned 125 gallon w/ 55 gallon sump, but I’m afraid that they would devastate the pod populations. Could a tank this size support 2 mandarins? 5 inch sand bed, 180 pounds of live rock, and ~30 gallon refugium.

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running or is this a future tank? Is there a refugium? I would say the ideal way to do it would be to have it running a year with a fuge, dump in a big bottle of pods, and add 1 mandarin at a time. You can always supplement pods or culture your own. Id say the tank should be able to support 2 though.

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running or is this a future tank? Is there a refugium? I would say the ideal way to do it would be to have it running a year with a fuge, dump in a big bottle of pods, and add 1 mandarin at a time. You can always supplement pods or culture your own. Id say the tank should be able to support 2 though.
It’s still in the planning stage. Of course I’ll wait a year or so for the pods to develop.
A pair might be fine but there is a good chance they will fight especially if you get 2 males.
Should I get 2 females or a male and female?

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 You’d have to get a male & female. Mandarins are murderously aggressive towards conspecific species.

#2 You’ll have to continuously restock pods (probably every two weeks). It doesn’t matter how many pods your system has when you first plop a mandarin in. I’ve had tanks with panels absolutely covered in pods and a few weeks later, they were all gone. I highly recommend looking into either getting a mated pair that already eats frozen brine/mysis or considering training them yourself, which takes a little diligence and patience, but makes your mandarins FAR less dependent on pods.

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 in mine. 2 females and a male. They don't fight at all. They travel together and cover the whole tank. I feed brine shrimp hatch and pods. All 3 are fat and growing fast. I bought them from saltwater fish.

I did this intentionally to have a breeding population. In the wild 1 male breeds with every female in his territory

OP
OP
H

harrylikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 You’d have to get a male & female. Mandarins are murderously aggressive towards conspecific species.

#2 You’ll have to continuously restock pods (probably every two weeks). It doesn’t matter how many pods your system has when you first plop a mandarin in. I’ve had tanks with panels absolutely covered in pods and a few weeks later, they were all gone. I highly recommend looking into either getting a mated pair that already eats frozen brine/mysis or considering training them yourself, which takes a little diligence and patience, but makes your mandarins FAR less dependent on pods.
I’ll transition them to frozen as soon as I can.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A male and female will be fine in a 125 with that much rock and a fuge, providing you wait until the tank is ready.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 37.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 34.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back