2 more questions, rock and sand

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After looking around i find i am drawn to purple dry live rock, any negatives. Mostly what i’ heard is 1# per gal, is that pretty hard and fast or should i put in 30#’s and see what it looks like. After this question i will quit bothering you guys awhile until i put things together.Next is sand type and size, this is another question i see a lot of different answers on.Thanks to all who have given me a helping hand.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never read anything negative about artificially colored rock and I've looked at it with admiration myself. I have always put it back in the bin because I would rather start with a grey or white rock and then I can monitor coraline algae and other growth a little easier than on a purple tinted base.

I presume that the growth surfaces on the two rocks are comparible, but again I trust natural rock more than artificial. I have no proof natural is better or superior, or not. I think if you like how it looks it should work out fine for you in the long run.

I trust other folk with more specific knowledge may chime in? This is a good topic/question that I have wondered about myself.

Thanks for asking
Kris

Edit: Oh, and 1 pound per gallon is an old "guideline" that was based upon selling rock instead of science. There is no magic number. I put most of my rock in the sump but have way less than 1 lb per gallon. The surface area and bacteria on/in the rock are what we need for filtering, and you need some number based upon what else you put in the tank. GL

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30# of rock in a 30g is going to be a lot of rock. You could start with 15# and see if you can come up with a scape that you like.

For sand, there are lots of options, mostly depends on what you will keep in the tank and how much flow you might have. The more flow, the larger grain you want so you don't stir up a sandstorm. If you think you will have sand-sifters or fish that live or burrow in the sand, you'll also want to avoid the finest grains and get something like Caribsea fiji pink or Tropic Eden mesoflakes.

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to think about putting a vertical piece between the tanks as well. It might not look great, but if you keep it there for a little while you'll get a sense of just how much spray there can be and how far it travels.

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never read anything negative about artificially colored rock and I've looked at it with admiration myself. I have always put it back in the bin because I would rather start with a grey or white rock and then I can monitor coraline algae and other growth a little easier than on a purple tinted base.

I presume that the growth surfaces on the two rocks are comparible, but again I trust natural rock more than artificial. I have no proof natural is better or superior, or not. I think if you like how it looks it should work out fine for you in the long run.

I trust other folk with more specific knowledge may chime in? This is a good topic/question that I have wondered about myself.

Thanks for asking
Kris

Edit: Oh, and 1 pound per gallon is an old "guideline" that was based upon selling rock instead of science. There is no magic number. I put most of my rock in the sump but have way less than 1 lb per gallon. The surface area and bacteria on/in the rock are what we need for filtering, and you need some number based upon what else you put in the tank. GL
Put most of rock in sump? I’m really new to this hobby,but i thought it was in the display tank for esthetic purposes and to accept corals, enlighten me please.

OP
OP
White Hair

White Hair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might want to think about putting a vertical piece between the tanks as well. It might not look great, but if you keep it there for a little while you'll get a sense of just how much spray there can be and how far it travels.
Tanks?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rock in the sump tends to grow bacteria and sponges and serves as a biological filter.
Rock in the display tank grows coralline algae and corals on it. It serves as a surface to grow and display corals, or for aquascaping and fish habitat. It has more visual impact, so if you are going to get premium rock that is where you want to display it.

Sand I don't use, but if you do make certain you rinse it clean before you add. More info for sand (and substrates) here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/the-official-sand-rinse-thread-aka-one-against-many.230281/

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the purple rock before when I purchased a set up from someone. Their tank was only set up for a month before a disaster happened. So the rock was not naturally covered with coraline. It looked fine and bacteria grew on it just like any other rock. The rock in our tanks serves as a place for good bacteria to grow, a place to put corals and a place for creatures and fish to hide and sleep. While you need a good amount the 1 lb per gallon is old school. Before we had all the new ways of exporting nutrients it was a good number. I would do whats pleasing to the eye while providing the needs of your tank inhabitants.
Sand:
+1 to foxt and KrisReef's comments.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back