2 Octo Pulse 4’s

tresguey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my new 120 build I bought 2 Octo pulse 4’s. Hooked one of them up as I was filling the tank today. To my surprise it was very loud. I was going to go with a couple MP 40’s but figured sim
ce I bought a Regal 200INT which a various pump and the various 8 as a return pump keep everything in the same family. Anyone else have an issue with these pump being loud?

OP
OP
T

tresguey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night I removed the pump from the magnetic holder on the glass. I held it in my hand and applied full power. I could not hear the pump at all. Guess I will try adding some padding to the mount. I can really feel the vibration on the glass when it is running.

I also wonder if I should drain the tank and add neoprene padding under the frame of the tank. It is a wood stand, I didn't add padding since it was a framed tank.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two OctoPulse 4's and a VarioS 8 and they are all dead quiet so I'm glad you got it figured out.

Timo‘s Riff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find the 4s very loud as well think the foam pad between the holder and the pump is not thick enough

OP
OP
T

tresguey

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timo, I agree. I had some 1/16” neoprene at home and made an extra pad. I did allow for water flow to the back of the pump. Looking at the design, I am pretty sure it needs a bit of flow... but the extra pad helped out a lot.

JohnGP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So last night I removed the pump from the magnetic holder on the glass. I held it in my hand and applied full power. I could not hear the pump at all. Guess I will try adding some padding to the mount. I can really feel the vibration on the glass when it is running.

I also wonder if I should drain the tank and add neoprene padding under the frame of the tank. It is a wood stand, I didn't add padding since it was a framed tank.
After re-reading this post this doesn't seem right, it sounds like to me your blade/s are out of balance, mine don't vibrate at all and are dead quiet unless I run them wide open. If I was you I'd contact RO and see if they'll exchange or send you new props.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back