OP
ClownfishAnemone

ClownfishAnemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOUR USING THE WRONG TEST KIT!!! IT SAYS FRESHWATER.
if youre just going to yell at me i dont want your help, its inconsiderate, im just asking for help, if you cant control your emotions dont feel the need to help me.

OP
OP
ClownfishAnemone

ClownfishAnemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YOUR USING THE WRONG TEST KIT!!! IT SAYS FRESHWATER.
im aware, i asked yesterday if the freshwater API master kit would work for salt water as well, they told me it would and they havent been wrong before, clearly this is an error ive done myself most likely from adding the water with possible toxins as thats all i can think of that wouldve done it since nothing had been wrong previous to adding the coral less than 12 hours ago.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please lets help this R2R member get thru this.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed the freshwater label and it didn't register. Again, I would suggest looking into Red Sea or Salifert test kits.

I also agree that the smaller the tank, the harder it is. Its because the bigger the tank, the more room for error you have due to the volume of water that is effected.

OP
OP
ClownfishAnemone

ClownfishAnemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed the freshwater label and it didn't register. Again, I would suggest looking into Red Sea or Salifert test kits.
ill be getting a red sea one today more than likely, but since ive done a 100% water change am i able to add the female clown back to the tank? i just saved her obviously i dont want to kill her too, or should i remove any new coral since they might be the ones responsible?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral didn’t kill the fish.
It was most likely due to disease or water parameters in a poorly cycled tank.
Find a new lfs, lots of the info they’ve been giving you has been really bad.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ill be getting a red sea one today more than likely, but since ive done a 100% water change am i able to add the female clown back to the tank? i just saved her obviously i dont want to kill her too, or should i remove any new coral since they might be the ones responsible?
I don't feel its the corals responsible, it may have been the water itself that the corals were in. I suggested not to add the water that anything came in because you don't know how the LFS keeps their tank parameters at. I also mentioned it because most LFS's keep copper in their fish tanks at a therapeutic level, and copper will kill coral and invertebrates. I don't do it simply because I don't want anything in my tank other than what I introduce to it.

Question, do you have any Methyl Blue?

pap2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo if you keep moving the coral...thay may die. did you dip the coral frist?

OP
OP
ClownfishAnemone

ClownfishAnemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feel its the corals responsible, it may have been the water itself that the corals were in. I suggested not to add the water that anything came in because you don't know how the LFS keeps their tank parameters at. I also mentioned it because most LFS's keep copper in their fish tanks at a therapeutic level, and copper will kill coral and invertebrates. I don't do it simply because I don't want anything in my tank other than what I introduce to it.

Question, do you have any Methyl Blue?
I don’t feel like it could’ve had anything toxic like copper in the water because the water the corals came with that i put in my tank came from a gigantic frag tank with only coral in it, so if he had too much copper wouldn’t it kill his coral too? So i feel like you guys were right with the stress induced toxins at first. I do not have methyl blue but i’ll pick some up today along with the red sea test kit

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t feel like it could’ve had anything toxic like copper in the water because the water the corals came with that i put in my tank came from a gigantic frag tank with only coral in it, so if he had too much copper wouldn’t it kill his coral too? So i feel like you guys were right with the stress induced toxins at first. I do not have methyl blue but i’ll pick some up today along with the red sea test kit
Methyl Blue is good to help with ammonia burns on a fish's gills.

I don't feel you added copper, I just said that to clarify why I feel you shouldn't add water from a LFS to your tank.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to be wary of with fish store water is that any type of disease which floats around their tanks can come right into your tank (though the real risk is the fish which it infects).

OP
OP
ClownfishAnemone

ClownfishAnemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Methyl Blue is good to help with ammonia burns on a fish's gills.

I don't feel you added copper, I just said that to clarify why I feel you shouldn't add water from a LFS to your tank.
Ok got you, my ammonia is below 0.02ppm though according to my ammoniaalert that’s been in my tank for about a month now, still reading yellow which says “safe <0.02 ppm”

OP
OP
ClownfishAnemone

ClownfishAnemone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
imo if you keep moving the coral...thay may die. did you dip the coral frist?
i only have moved the pulsing xenia and kept them in water, and quickly moved them back to the main tank. And do you mean dip as in dip them in the water so they’re acclimated? in that case yes i did for about 30 minutes

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok got you, my ammonia is below 0.02ppm though according to my ammoniaalert that’s been in my tank for about a month now, still reading yellow which says “safe <0.02 ppm”
Once my tanks are settled, I don't even test ammonia. I only monitor my QT tanks for ammonia now. The problem with any ammonia tester is that they will not show a ammonia spike, as it is exactly that, a spike. The only thing that may show it is the Seneye that actually monitors and logs it.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back