2 Part and TM Balling Part C

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A question for some Randy’s and a Lou.

Is it possible to use Tropic Marin Balling Part C with traditional 2 part (soda ash) or does the desired ionic effect only occur using sodium bicarbonate type Alk portion?

@Randy Holmes-Farley
@randyBRS
@Lou Ekus

OP
OP
spsick

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part C can work with any sodium bicarbonate or carbonate alk source and calcium chloride calcium source, but you will need to work out the amount.

awesome thanks Randy. I know there’s been a lot of questions about this lately but never noticed anyone address that specifically. I have so much BRS 2 part and I’d like to adopt the more consistent manor of trace addition than WC on my SPS tank.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome thanks Randy. I know there’s been a lot of questions about this lately but never noticed anyone address that specifically. I have so much BRS 2 part and I’d like to adopt the more consistent manor of trace addition than WC on my SPS tank.

To be clear, this method of trace element "addition" really adds very little trace element, and is not going to supplement against uptake by organisms of trace elements.

it is more useful for the major and minor ions, such as potassium, bromide, etc.

In terms of trace elements, it is akin to doing a tiny water change once in a while.

here's the basic math:

if you add the equivalent of 1.1 dKH per day, and then use part C in an appropriate amount to balance out the sodium and chloride you added, it is going to add roughly the same amount of trace elements as if you did one 32% water change per year. Definitely not nothing, and is potentially important for ions like potassium. But for trace elements that might go from NSW levels to none in a few days (iron, manganese, etc.), it is not doing much to maintain these levels.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, your recommendation is to do water changes to keep up with TE and potassium levels?
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy, your recommendation is to do water changes to keep up with TE and potassium levels?
Thanks

Water changes and supplements. Some trace elements deplete very fast. Iron, manganese, for example.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using a reactor with coral bones as media would this supply the elements above? Or is it found in the soft tissue?

Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If using a reactor with coral bones as media would this supply the elements above? Or is it found in the soft tissue?

Thanks

It supplies some, but not enough to offset growth of soft tissues and organisms like algae.

U

User1

View Badges
Question then after reading some of this. Is Part C not really necessary or worth the additional cost?

Supplement route would be better (cost wise) if dose by hand/manually?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding all of this.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back