2 Part Balancing / Dosing

CarolinaReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing 2 part for about a year. I was using the BRS but didn't get hardly any growth. I friend suggested that I try ME coral 2 part. I started the 2 part around the middle of July. See my log below. Please don't pay too much attention to the dosing columns as I don't do a very good job of keeping them accurate.
I also dose nitrate with a target of 1-2 ppm. although I have a hard time keeping it up.

My problem is: my CA has been decreasing while my ALK has been increasing although I have been dosing equal parts. Since 7/23/16 I was dosing 14ml of ALK and CA 3 times per day. So today I decreased the ALK to 10ml x 3 per day. Should I be concerned that the parts aren't equal and play with my dosing numbers to keep the values where I want them?

My targets are:
CA 425
ALK 8
Mag 1400
NO3 1-2 ppm

I am also battling the problem of the batch of IO I am using is mixing up at:
CA 375
ALK 11
Mag 1070

BTW my result with the ME coral has been positive.
I have noticeable SPS growth since I switched.

Params.GIF

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unequal parts dosing is often due to water changes messing with the ratio, and there is no reason to not alter the ratio if long term measurements (not a few days) suggest it is needed. :)

FWIW, I don't believe the switch from one brand of calcium chloride and sodium carbonate to another makes a difference. But the alk in the tank, as well as many other factors does. :)

OP
OP
CarolinaReefs

CarolinaReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy. I have started to dose my fresh salt water to get it up to my target parameters however I don't know about the ALK as it is too high for my liking.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back