2 part brand? Nano

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals,
So I was dozing salifert calcium and buffer but want to change over for my 6 gallon.
What do you think is better brand and stability wise? Esv B ionic, Kent, bright well or Red Sea?
I've read a lot so much that I'm confused and would like your opinions? I mainly have Lps and softies.
I would like to mainly just dose directly into tank overflow without mixing with rodi water.
What do you think?
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I needed to pick a commercial two part, I'd select ESV Bionic because I trust them to understand what is important in a two part.

However, for most situations where cost has some importance, I'd use a DIY. :)

SCMatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do yes. If doing it by hand do it slowly, IMO over the course of a few hours or the day. I run a doser and have the tubes so that it drips into my intake/overflow rather than straight in the tank. If you have a sump I'd put it there. Either works as long as its a slow dose.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used ESV in the past. Switched to BRS 2part. After 7 months of using the BRS, I can honestly say I totally like the ESV more.. Will be switching back.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ESV sells a concentrate and that needs dilution with RO/DI before use, but the resulting liquid can be directly dosed.
A two part does not usually need to be dosed especially slowly unless the needed dose is high. Once a day is OK for many situations. In higher demand situations, twice a day or even a dosing pump may be desirable. :)

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used ESV in the past. Switched to BRS 2part. After 7 months of using the BRS, I can honestly say I totally like the ESV more.. Will be switching back.

What did you find was different?

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed fluctuating results using the BRS 2part that I didn't get with the ESV. With the BRS my dosing amount seems to change with each batch I make up. Even though I'm using the exact same method of measurements for mixing each and every time. My numbers were more stable with the ESV. I also found that I didn't have to dose as much quantity wise.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Nano man

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help guys, Esv b ionic it is then. Stability is what I really
Would prefer so with that said I'm placing my order now.
Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed fluctuating results using the BRS 2part that I didn't get with the ESV. With the BRS my dosing amount seems to change with each batch I make up. Even though I'm using the exact same method of measurements for mixing each and every time. My numbers were more stable with the ESV. I also found that I didn't have to dose as much quantity wise.

I certainly agree that you need to dose more of my recipe because it is intentionally a bit more dilute than ESV. I'm not sure how that is an issue, but it is a fact. My Recipe #1 (what BRS uses) is about 62% of the potency of ESV's B-ionic Original. :)

i'm not sure why you seemed to have trouble making the same thing each time, however. :)

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm wouldn't I be using less of the ESV versus the BRS, thus saving money?
As for this difference in my batches. I don't know. I'm making it by the quart. 10tbsp of CA and 8tbsp of soda ash per 4cups of RO/DI water. Measurements given to me by BRS.

Last edited:

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither measuring accurately nor mixing these solutions is as straight-forward/bulletproof as most people seem to make it, and in normal circumstances an error in measurement is one of the only ways to get the variable results you were seeing. (Check your source material for defects, but that should be unlikely.) I guess I'm weird but I don't think DIY chemistry is for everyone and I think there is value in pre-mixed reagents.

It's not a magic bullet, but weighing your dry ingredients vs using volume measurements helped me a lot. A food-quality gram scale is <$20 at your local big box retailer. One reading down to one decimal place is <$10 at online retailers.

Also, while I'm a fan of ESV's products, I'm not a fan of their virtually non-existent website or the non-existent usage instructions on their packaging. One cannot learn anything about proper dosing methods and procedures from ESV in any way shape or form. In 2015 I just don't get that. I have had equivalent success with Brightwell's similar products (and BRS, and DIY), but their instructions (test and dose!) are complete and in lock-step with the best guidance out there. (Randy's articles.) Much better, IMO, for someone starting out. After that, brands can be mostly interchangeable.

-Matt

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm wouldn't I be using less of the ESV versus the BRS, thus saving money?
As for this difference in my batches. I don't know. I'm making it by the quart. 10tbsp of CA and 8tbsp of soda ash per 4cups of RO/DI water. Measurements given to me by BRS.

If I designed the recipe more concentrated, would that make you save money? No, since it is the dry material you buy. (well, you pay a tiny amount for the fresh water you use) :)

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upon further research by way of price comparison, BRS is less expensive.
However I'm no chemist, never even attended a chemistry class of any kind. It's all Japanese to this plain English speaking/reading reefer. I cannot even attempt to read half of Randy's educational threads, I get lost. It is just to complicated for me to comprehend period.
Could be my measuring cup is off, or the tbsp spoon is off. 2 things I don't even want to have to consider, nor fret about. Even more important to me is I don't want to be afraid of dosing my tank with something it needs. Even though the fear stems from ignorance. When it comes to Chemistry, I am totally ignorant. At 55 I don't see this changing any time soon.
So I guess it's more out of convenance then anything that I find ESV more desirable. Less room for error on my part.
How's that? Better than saying one is better than the other? :)

bfam4t6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like you've already made the right choice, but for anyone else who reads this thread with the same question...
In the past I've used both Kent and. Brightwell. I'm lazy and didn't test squat, but, my eyes told me that I had better results with Brightwell. I used it for about a year.

Then I switched to ESV. My eyes tell me that it is better than Brightwell. So, I've been using ESV for the past year, and don't plan to switch.

Btw, what do I mean when I say "my eyes tell me that it's better"? I mean that my coral look better, from SPS to LPS to softies, and that's all I care about.

OP
OP
Nano man

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what does everyone consider a daily safe dosage for Esv?
1 ml for calcium part and test to see how much for alk part?
Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what does everyone consider a daily safe dosage for Esv?
1 ml for calcium part and test to see how much for alk part?
Thanks

I'd get calcium into range with whatever dose it takes (what is it now?)

Then dose equal parts of calcium and alkalinity as needed to maintain alkalinity where you want it. The calcium will follow along just fine unless a water changes messes with it too much. :)

Ep3n3wp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using and am happy with AquaMaxx Synergy Plus 2 part(with trace elements)
I manually dose and have done pretty much 30 day testing and my alk was only off by .2 higher while dosing the same amount at the same time and testing at the same time...

OP
OP
Nano man

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium is low at around 300 hence the main reason for switching brands to keep it up, I do weekly water changes at half gallon in the 6 gallon nano. Actual water volume with live rock and sand at about 5 gallon. So will see how it goes once I dise with Esv thogu. Thanks

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 40 43.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 36.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back