2 Part Consumption after Water Change

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anybody else experience a decrease in 2 part uptake immediately following a WC? It seems every time I do a WC it takes a while for me to dial my dosers back in because there is always a decrease in alk consumption following a WC, by the time I get the dose figured out and stable again its time for another weekly WC

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I may not get it exactly matching. But I do get it dang close plus its only 10%... I run my tank at 9dkh... my salt mix is 7 (tropic marin pro reef).... i mix my salt then put the ph probe from the tank into my water bucket and add soda ash until the PH is matched, then test the water change water and dose the rest with sodium bicarb to get to my 9.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I may not get it exactly matching. But I do get it dang close plus its only 10%... I run my tank at 9dkh... my salt mix is 7 (tropic marin pro reef).... i mix my salt then put the ph probe from the tank into my water bucket and add soda ash until the PH is matched, then test the water change water and dose the rest with sodium bicarb to get to my 9.

I've not heard folks report this.

How much are you changing at once?

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard folks report this.

How much are you changing at once?
Small water change 4-5 gallons on my 32 biocube. As mentioned above i match ph and other parameters as close as possible and still allways get a decrease in uptake the following days... for example 4 days leading up tp my wc tested water daily and was 9.1 everyday at 930pm. That was dosing 16ml of soda ash per day. I did my WC lowered my dose to 12ml because i was anticipating a decrease in uptake tested the water 24 hours later and i was at 10 dkh

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've not heard of this before and, if real and reproducible, the only thing I can think of is that the calcifying organisms do not like the new water or the changing process itself.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small water change 4-5 gallons on my 32 biocube. As mentioned above i match ph and other parameters as close as possible and still allways get a decrease in uptake the following days... for example 4 days leading up tp my wc tested water daily and was 9.1 everyday at 930pm. That was dosing 16ml of soda ash per day. I did my WC lowered my dose to 12ml because i was anticipating a decrease in uptake tested the water 24 hours later and i was at 10 dkh
20220308_122704.jpg

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using tropic marin pro reef... ive heard of them shutting down their turkish factory. Idk if the salt ive been using is from turkey or not because i threw away the box and have it stored in a 5 gal bucket. I dohowever, have 2 buckets of German manufactured salt i can try using that next w.c... i find it unlikely but suppose it could be worth a shot?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been using tropic marin pro reef... ive heard of them shutting down their turkish factory. Idk if the salt ive been using is from turkey or not because i threw away the box and have it stored in a 5 gal bucket. I dohowever, have 2 buckets of German manufactured salt i can try using that next w.c... i find it unlikely but suppose it could be worth a shot?
Ah, we posted at the same time!

Let me see if there’s a way to know. Stay put…

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im not sure what one ive been using as i through away the small box and have the bag in a 5 gal bucket but i do have two unopened big buckets from Germany though.
Does the 5 gallon bucket have a bar code on it? Can you take a picture of it?

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, I think the smartest thing to do is switch to the Germany ones and see if the problem persists.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyway, I think the smartest thing to do is switch to the Germany ones and see if the problem persists.
The bucket i have the salt im using now is just a homedepot bucket because i bought the medium box from brs. I have the whole bag of salt in the homedepot bucket ... But will do my next wc with one of the unopened German buckets and see if it still happens. This has been somthing ive delt with on every w.c since setting up my dos so i just thought it was normal and was looking for help on dialing it back it following a wc. Hopefully its as simple as the salt but sounds too easy.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bucket i have the salt im using now is just a homedepot bucket because i bought the medium box from brs. I have the whole bag of salt in the homedepot bucket ... But will do my next wc with one of the unopened German buckets and see if it still happens. This has been somthing ive delt with on every w.c since setting up my dos so i just thought it was normal and was looking for help on dialing it back it following a wc. Hopefully its as simple as the salt but sounds too easy.
Nope. This is absolutely not normal and if it was, it would lead to extreme instability with alk.

I use Instant ocean purple and it’s the best salt IMO due to consistency, quality, and price!

Tropic marin in Germany is also extremely high quality (maybe even higher than IO with their pharmaceutical ingredients) and should not cause any issues.

Please keep me posted as I am invested. When’s your next water change due?

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually do my maintenance on fridays but now im wondering if i should switch buckets and do multiple 10% over the next few days. But at the time i think i should let the tank stabilize and find its new dose first.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I opened one of the German buckets and am going to make some water.
I'm not sure if I was using Turkish or German prior to today but the bucket I opened does smell different and seems less dusty compared to the batch I was using. Hoping for the best.

OP
OP
D

Davisc1293

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I opened one of the German buckets and am going to make some water.
I'm not sure if I was using Turkish or German prior to today but the bucket I opened does smell different and seems less dusty compared to the batch I was using. Hoping for the best.
After actually mixing the water with the new bucket and comparing the salts side by side there is an obvious difference between the two in more ways then I previously mentioned. This salt theory is starting to hold some serious weight.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 183 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.7%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back