2 return pumps

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking for help from anyone who runs 2 return pumps.

I have a 120g AIO. It has 3 compartments and holes in the wall for 3 return pumps. I currently use just one COR-15 in the center chamber. Yesterday, while on vacation (of course) my EB832’s DC ports blew and I got a “volt” error on my return pump.

I want to replace the EB832 with 2, 1link modules and run two COR-15 pumps each connected to their own 1link module. I’m hoping this should create enough separate redundancy to eliminate this issue in the future.

I’m thinking I could run one at 100% and keep one off in case this happens again. Even if I have to manually switch it on in Apex, that’s fine. I think I could also program it to happen automatically. I worry that having a pump in the tank that’s “off” for possibly 1-2 years then asking it to kick on may be a bad idea.

I could alternatively run both at 50% and boost one to 100% in case of a failure either through programming or manually.

I can’t use flowmeters to balance the flow (which would be ideal) since it’s an AIO.

If anyone has any experience and could share any pitfalls or issues they had running to return pumps, especially with one being a “backup,” I’d appreciate it!

Robinson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason the COR20 is a better pump:
- You can run them without APEX controller
- In the event that it gets disconnected from the controller (controller / EB832 / Link) die, the pump can be programmed to keep running at the specific % you want.

COR15 depends to much on the APEX / EB832, so if one goes down, then the other stop working.

And finally yes, you can run two dual return pumps (50/50) or any other combination. I do, and I have the pipe setup in a way that if one pump die, with the opening and closing of a few gate valves I can keep running the tank with just only one pump until the replacement pump arrive.

OP
OP
S

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason the COR20 is a better pump:
- You can run them without APEX controller
- In the event that it gets disconnected from the controller (controller / EB832 / Link) die, the pump can be programmed to keep running at the specific % you want.

COR15 depends to much on the APEX / EB832, so if one goes down, then the other stop working.

And finally yes, you can run two dual return pumps (50/50) or any other combination. I do, and I have the pipe setup in a way that if one pump die, with the opening and closing of a few gate valves I can keep running the tank with just only one pump until the replacement pump arrive.
This is a good point on the COR-20 being independent. I purchased the COR-15 because it was plenty of flow and I liked not having the brick but it is a liability. I see that now. I have an all in one tank so I don’t have to worry about back siphon I don’t think. I have to double check the 20 fits in the back compartment.

I own two COR-15’s (one for cleaning) but I may just swap it out for a COR-20 and call it good.

I have to buy the extra power module and a new EB832 either way.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Simplicity 1000 and 1600 on my 120 Gallon, each one on its’ own electric circuit. Tank has an Internal Overflow, Three Returns. I wouldn’t run two pumps in series, on a Mag Drive Pump, it will end up damaging one or both. Don’t worry about back flow, if one fails. It may stir up, a tiny bit of sedimen, but won’t hurt the inhabitants.

Last edited:

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back