2 Scarface Blennies in 10 gal tank

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I put 2 scarface blennies in a 10 gallon tank with some live sand and live rock? Since they are blennies and they kind of hang around their spot, I assume they don't need much space.

The max size for this blenny is 4".

Last edited:

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd suggest that two in such a small space is asking for trouble. Blennies can be very aggressive, especially when in cramped conditions where natural food is in short supply.

Cirripectus sp can also be very chunky fish, so I would even suggest one in only 10 gallons. There are other species that might be ok but I would still add only a simple individual because if they don't get on then you will likely see one being killed.

OP
OP
DirectCherry

DirectCherry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about 2 individuals in a 20? Obviously I'd do what I can to ensure I get a male and a female and introduce the second one in a breeder box for a while to ensure there is no aggression.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have personal experience with that exact species but have kept others in that genus and ime you would be pushing it with even one in that sized tank. Hopefully someone with actual experience of that species (maybe @eatbreakfast ) can advise you better but for similar blennies I'd consider something many times larger than what you are thinking is more feasible simply because it can be tricky to get them to coexist and often the stunning colouration of the males is temporary which is why people don't even try.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't house 2 in anything smaller than a 75g, and even then there may be aggression between them.

The bright coloring is only shown during nuptial or territorial displays. During normal conditions it is muted.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain what you mean when you say the coloration is temporary?

Specifically I'm talking about the males. In this genus they have some impressive facial markings when in their breeding finery or for showing other males who's boss. As Tj says these are only temporary and they revert back to the more muted colours, like the female. So if you love the females looks then you could try a pair with a big enough tank but if it's the impressive markings of the male that attracted you to the species then be aware that they won't look like that for long in the tank.

I had a pair of starry blennies and when in breeding mode the male would turn bright pink, which looked amazing but shortly after it was hard to tell them apart. That tank was a 6x2x2 and they just about tolerated each other when not breeding.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 51 43.6%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 8 6.8%
Back