2 solenoids run off 1 power supply?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gools
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Gools

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 13, 2016
Messages
97
Reaction score
17
What state or country do you live in
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I run 2 - 12v DC solenoids off of 1 power supply? I want to purchase them to close off the air to my skimmer when I feed my corals. But would rather not use 2 power supplies as my plugs are limited
 
Can I run 2 - 12v DC solenoids off of 1 power supply? I want to purchase them to close off the air to my skimmer when I feed my corals. But would rather not use 2 power supplies as my plugs are limited
Just make sure solenoids are 100% continuous use. If me I'd get a power supply with 2 amps. Overkill but easily available. $9 on Ebay. I just bought some with 3a. $10 ea.
 
Jomama, sorry I'm not sure what your meaning? They are a constantly open solenoid, so will just close them for 15min a day while feeding. Are you recommending buying one power supply but with a higher amp rating?

link81, the solenoid are 12vDC, 4.8watt draw, hope that answers that question
 
in that case, you can easily run 2 solenoids off a 1a power supply. (4.8W / 12v = 0.4A)
2 solenoids would be 0.8A, leaving you about 20% extra capacity on the power supply. Perfectly fine.
 
Thanks
I just checked and the power supply off amazon is a 2amp, so i'm all good.
Thanks very much
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 22.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new