2 tank sump help

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all. The sump I currently have has a couple broken baffles and is not really as large as I'd like to have. The openings to the stand are not very large, so I cannot fit anything longer than 3 ft into the stand. I've thought about cutting a door in the side of the stand to slide one in, but theres extra supports that only leave for about a foot gap of thinner plyboard. That being said, I'm considering doing a 2 tank sump. Please post a pic or two of how yours is set up and how you plumbed it. Trying to make the biggest volume possible without having to drill any tanks

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to build things from scratch or raw materials. In this situation I would first consider getting glass in sheets and build the sump where it will sit. if that was not an option I would build a new stand. Both are easy when the materials and tools are available. I can help answer DiY questions. Sorry I can’t help much with the two tanks idea, that’s a new one for me.

Ratherbeflyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only reliable way to have 2 sumps without doing any drilling is if one of the sumps flows into the other sump via gravity. Even that is going to require some kind of drain or overflow that would be as hard or harder than drilling the tank.

If it will fit, you could get a hang of refugium like these.

https://aquarium.bulkreefsupply.com/reefing/Hang-On-Back-Refugium

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all. The sump I currently have has a couple broken baffles and is not really as large as I'd like to have. The openings to the stand are not very large, so I cannot fit anything longer than 3 ft into the stand. I've thought about cutting a door in the side of the stand to slide one in, but theres extra supports that only leave for about a foot gap of thinner plyboard. That being said, I'm considering doing a 2 tank sump. Please post a pic or two of how yours is set up and how you plumbed it. Trying to make the biggest volume possible without having to drill any tanks

Can you post pictures of the current set up with shots of tank, stand and sump?

Michael Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it would be tough to do something reliable without drilling. Here's the route I went with mine.
1581471213033.png

1581471229033.png

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back