2 wrasses ok?

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here's my problem. I recently purchased a few sps/lps frags. Somehow or another my amphipod population exploded. I've read a few post of people who have had problems with amphipods eating corals and I have noticed that they seem to be interested in being near enough to my new coral frags that they are irritated.

I'd like to get a wrasse to deal with this problem. My LFS has a few to choose from and I'm liking the look of the Blue Scaled Fairy Wrasse.
Do they eat amphipods? And can I get a pair or are they a solo fish?

And yes, I have a screen lid.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Pairs" of most wrasses won't often work out in our aquariums (leopard wrasses sometimes do), but singles of multiple compatible species work well.

Fairy and flasher wrasses most often cruise open water, snapping up plankton - easy to feed, but often ignore small critters lurking in crevices. Better bets for pest-and-pod patrol would be one of the leopard wrasses or wrasses of the genus Halichoeres.

~B.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think its a matter of avoiding certain pairings. for example a mystery wrasse is going to relentlessly harass a fairy. there is a chart online that gives the species with the highest probability of success.

OP
OP
littlebeard

littlebeard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a H. Biocellatus. They labeled it as a Christmas wrasse. No less than 3 seconds in the tank, he took out a big amphipod. Then in the next minute took out about a half dozen more. 6 down... 20,000 more to go.... I hope he can keep up!

Thanks!

Bigfish of La.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The H biocellatus is a Red Line wrasse and the H claudia is the Christmas. I have both and they constantly look for pods

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back