2 x Ecotech Versa for AWC on 3 tanks

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers!

I am looking at a way to "semi-automate" my water changes on my 3 x Red Sea Max Nano tanks. My tanks are positioned through the wall in a separate room.

I will be using 2 x Ecotech Versa dosing pumps and a number of RO-valves to direct the water flow to and from where I want it to go.

I have done a fair bit of research as well as testing with different lengths of RO tubing and come to the results that the length don't seem to matter as long as the tube is primed and the dosing pump is calibrated.

Does anyone see any reason why this would not work for push button water change? Here's what I am planning to do:

1. Prime all lines (only initially; one time!)
2. Mix saltwater and make sure there's sufficient water in the reservoir.
3. Verify line-up (correct filling / suction valve open)
4. Initiate water change on one tank.
5. Change line-up to next tank
6. Repeat step 4/5
7. Close all valves until next time

Drawing of the system attached.

1702373000369.png

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct run the tubing first, then calibrate your pumps, lenght doesn’t matter as long as it’s within spec for your pumps. My saltwater line is 80 feet long and goes up about 11 feet, my wastewater line is only 20 feet long. and goes down about 12 feet.

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct run the tubing first, then calibrate your pumps, lenght doesn’t matter as long as it’s within spec for your pumps. My saltwater line is 80 feet long and goes up about 11 feet, my wastewater line is only 20 feet long. and goes down about 12 feet.
That's really really good to know, thanks for sharing :star-struck: it all should be up and running tomorrow all going well..

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it's all up and running, no leaks and calibration shows same amount of water being changed across all three tanks! :D

Thank you for your advice, appreciate it!

1000001653.jpg

1000001651.jpg

1000001652.jpg

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to how this is going? Are the pumps running full time, or is it only certain times?
They are running push button once every week pr. tank :)

I am changing 10 l of water every week (tue, wed and Thursday) across the three tanks.

So far so good, i am leaving the ATO off so that I can verify the water level doesnt change.

In short, it does work- and works well. Is it worth it compared to just manually changing four jugs of water? Probably not :)

JonoH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are running push button once every week pr. tank :)

I am changing 10 l of water every week (tue, wed and Thursday) across the three tanks.

So far so good, i am leaving the ATO off so that I can verify the water level doesnt change.

In short, it does work- and works well. Is it worth it compared to just manually changing four jugs of water? Probably not :)
Nice, i am looking at options for automating mine at the moment, but i think the Versa will be too small, as i would need to change closer to 100L per week! (220 Gal tank).

OP
OP
CasperOe

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, i am looking at options for automating mine at the moment, but i think the Versa will be too small, as i would need to change closer to 100L per week! (220 Gal tank).
Yeah you'd be looking at something larger for that.. I am using a Neptune DOS on my larger tank, but even on that one I'm "only" changing 75 l at once over 24 hours.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 155 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.1%
Back