20 Gallon Long SW Conversion

shostle85

View Badges
Reaction score
Hello, First SW tank, I have a 20 Gal that was a freshwater and I’m going to convert it to fowlr for the time being. Down the road I would like to add a few easier to keep corals but I need some advice on filtration and in general advice on keeping it as low stress as possible. So right now I have a heater two filters with an aqueon 30” led light strip that has another slot for me to put another strip most likely blues since the whole strip is white but I dont know if I should use both of the aqua clear 20 filters I own or just buy one aqua clear 50 for filtration? Is that all I need just one aqua clear 50? I hear having a refugium is great would that be possible in one of the aqua clear 20 filters with the other working with sponge,media,etc?what should I put in the filter anything specific? I know the live rock and sand will filter as well but I’m going to buy a nice powerhead and point it up for surface agitation because I wont be using a skimmer. Lastly, is and Rodi system a good investment for this tank? Thanks in advance! ( I have sand and salt but no live rock )

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

Reef-junky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Are these HOB filters? The problem with HOB filters is salt spray. In any case you could put one on each end of the tank. I would pick up the blue LEDs at one point. As far as an RO/DI filter it depends if you want to buy water from your LFS or not you really wouldn’t need much. Oh and welcome to the site and have fun! I would be tempted to say get a 40 breeder and use the 20 for a sump.

How happy are you with the lighting "color" of your saltwater aquarium?

• 10 (extremely happy)

Votes: 72 17.4%

Votes: 51 12.3%

Votes: 87 21.0%

Votes: 92 22.2%

Votes: 45 10.9%

Votes: 31 7.5%

Votes: 18 4.3%

Votes: 8 1.9%

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 1 (hate it)

Votes: 7 1.7%