20 Gallon Long SW Conversion

shostle85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, First SW tank, I have a 20 Gal that was a freshwater and I’m going to convert it to fowlr for the time being. Down the road I would like to add a few easier to keep corals but I need some advice on filtration and in general advice on keeping it as low stress as possible. So right now I have a heater two filters with an aqueon 30” led light strip that has another slot for me to put another strip most likely blues since the whole strip is white but I dont know if I should use both of the aqua clear 20 filters I own or just buy one aqua clear 50 for filtration? Is that all I need just one aqua clear 50? I hear having a refugium is great would that be possible in one of the aqua clear 20 filters with the other working with sponge,media,etc?what should I put in the filter anything specific? I know the live rock and sand will filter as well but I’m going to buy a nice powerhead and point it up for surface agitation because I wont be using a skimmer. Lastly, is and Rodi system a good investment for this tank? Thanks in advance! ( I have sand and salt but no live rock )

Reef-junky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are these HOB filters? The problem with HOB filters is salt spray. In any case you could put one on each end of the tank. I would pick up the blue LEDs at one point. As far as an RO/DI filter it depends if you want to buy water from your LFS or not you really wouldn’t need much. Oh and welcome to the site and have fun! I would be tempted to say get a 40 breeder and use the 20 for a sump.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 38 31.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back