20 gallon reef tank

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a 20 reef tank I have 20 pounds of live rock/live sand a 20 filter and three Dalmatian Molly’s to cycle the tank on of the mollies gave birth do I leave them in there or take them out and what do I need to buy next to have a full coral reef tank.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Got some pics? Congrats on the breeding!

E8F8090A-1B09-438D-BFC7-347538332B65.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I heard mollies talked about for cycling a SW tank was 88'. Must be an old timer suggested that.

They live in brackish waters but don't thrive in full salt. However, since they are easier to catch than damsels when they complete their task and cheaper its more convenient to sacrifice them. Would have been a lot faster, cheaper and less cruel to simply use ammonia.

If your intent is not to keep them after the cycle just return them now. Toss a 1/4 teaspoon of ammonia in the tank and if the LR is actually LR and livexsand actually live sand it will be neutralized in a day.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!
To my knowledge, mollies can live in full salt for life and actually do very well there.
At this point, just ride it out until the cycle completes. You can always expand on your clean up crew, but for now just enjoy! In about a few weeks you can start looking at more fish, and in a few months you can get corals. The molly fry can act as food for fish and corals.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time I heard mollies talked about for cycling a SW tank was 88'. Must be an old timer suggested that.

They live in brackish waters but don't thrive in full salt. However, since they are easier to catch than damsels when they complete their task and cheaper its more convenient to sacrifice them. Would have been a lot faster, cheaper and less cruel to simply use ammonia.

If your intent is not to keep them after the cycle just return them now. Toss a 1/4 teaspoon of ammonia in the tank and if the LR is actually LR and livexsand actually live sand it will be neutralized in a day.
I don’t like using any ammonia in my aquariums, As far as the fish they are completely fine I have had them for two years and I have lots of experience cycling with them in fresh water. My parameters are Ammonia 0.25, Nitrite 1.0, and Nitrate 10.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is my next step after cycling. What do I buy next light, power heads, heaters. When will I know when my tank has finished its cycle.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to start dosing my tank with zooplankton or phytoplankton. What else do I need to add do I need to add. Do I need fish in a reef tank?

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t need fish but they are certainly entertaining and will provide food for the corals by pooping.
Clownfish are a popular option, and many gobies are attractive and good beginner fish.
Powerhead isn’t 100% necessary depending on the way the filter is situated, but is good to have. Light is necessary to grow coral and the heater keeps them at the proper temp. All are best gotten now.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which is better for a reef tank power heads or wave makers. Where do you buy your supplies heater, lights, wave maker/power head. What is the best heater to buy, I heard that coral will not survive a two degree change is this true. How do I stop it from happening in my aquarium!!?

Upvote 0

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals of all sorts, Anemones, and maybe a couple of fish I don’t know what type.

You have fish in there now. Are you not keeping them?

Honestly an Internet forum is not the best place to start asking questions about things that should've been figured out before water and fish went in your tank. It might have been useful to have done some preliminary research before the fact.
anyway..

Powerheads and wave makers are the same thing
Eheim jäger is a good start for a heater
not true about the temp and coral
heater has a dial that keeps the temp mostly constant

best of luck :)

Upvote 0

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a 20 reef tank I have 20 pounds of live rock/live sand a 20 filter and three Dalmatian Molly’s to cycle the tank on of the mollies gave birth do I leave them in there or take them out and what do I need to buy next to have a full coral reef tank.
Imo just leave them there. :D

As for a full coral reef tank, well it's just a matter of if it's ready for corals, then just get whatever corals you like and yeah it's a reef tank essentially lol.

Upvote 0

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 61.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.0%
Back