20 gallon reef tank

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just started a 20 reef tank I have 20 pounds of live rock/live sand a 20 filter and three Dalmatian Molly’s to cycle the tank on of the mollies gave birth do I leave them in there or take them out and what do I need to buy next to have a full coral reef tank.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the mollies to someone who has a fresh water / brackish tank.
They do not like the flow you will need to a full on reef tank with corals

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give the mollies to someone who has a fresh water / brackish tank.
They do not like the flow you will need to a full on reef tank with corals
I have a 2 55 gal, 3 20 gal, 2 29 gal, and 2 150 gal fresh water tanks all planted that’s where I originally got them from. The mollies seam to love the saltwater so much they bread. Do I need reef salt or can I just keep using regular aquarium salt?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 55 gal, 3 20 gal, 2 29 gal, and 2 150 gal fresh water tanks all planted that’s where I originally got them from. The mollies seam to love the saltwater so much they bread. Do I need reef salt or can I just keep using regular aquarium salt?
Just thought I would start small with saltwater see how it goes then move to a 55 gal reef tank.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to buy a protein skimmer for a 20 gal or will I be ok. Also what kind of fish can I have in there, what about a dwarf moray eel. What is better a wave maker or a power head?

Upvote 0

HomebroodExotics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do I need to buy a protein skimmer for a 20 gal or will I be ok. Also what kind of fish can I have in there, what about a dwarf moray eel. What is better a wave maker or a power head?
A lot of this depends on what YOU want. You can do it a thousand different ways. Depends on budget and desires. Your tanks is awesome so far. I love it. I would keep the mollies and add some other small fish. That sounds awesome.

Upvote 0

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly no moray for that tank. Blennies are kind of eel-like and there are a few for that tank.
Powerhead and wave maker are the same thing if I’m correct. Skimmer isn’t necessary as long as you keep up on water changes.
Good fish are gobies, small blenny species, clownfish, cardinals, basslets, and coral croucher gobies (actually a scorpionfish, a cousin to lionfish), just to name a few.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Impala67

Impala67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My goal is to have a full coral reef with just a few fish. What are the best beginner corals can I have a anemone with coral and how do I take care of one.

Upvote 0

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many options here. Dr Tims one and only, Fritz turbostart, Micobacter7. These are some of the most commonly mentioned ones on the cycling posts. I personally used Dr Tims one and only along with the Dr Tims ammonia. If I had to do it over again, I may try something else. Nothing is pure magic in a bottle, nor will it compare to a piece of Live rock from a trusted source. If you can get a rock in an established tank that would be the best bet. Adding bacteria would also help even if you went with the rock.

Upvote 0

SchrutesReefs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re going to want to wait quite a few months before adding the nem. Once you start to see some algae growth you could add some soft corals like zoas or shrooms, leathers, etc. they will help absorb some nutrients. Might not hurt to grab some snails and hermits also if you don’t already have any.

Upvote 0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 51.4%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back