20 gallon saltwater setup

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see pictures
My 20 tall that’s been running for 8 years. No skimmer, hang on back filter, heater and a couple power heads. 4 T5 s for light. Light I picked up at a hydroponics store and fitted with reef bulbs.
B23C2415-3054-4AC4-AB04-B5F48374C19E.jpeg
Water change once a month. Easy to take care of coral. One clown and a starry blenny for fish.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EFA4CF72-71A5-44AD-A25E-617398AFFC42.jpeg
This tank’s lighting is a Nicrew led for fresh water! Reefs can be simple or complex.
Ask yourself, what do I want to keep? Then plan your tank accordingly.
A8971FD7-544E-4535-A5DB-409889D62502.jpeg

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like can use the Reef octopus hb-90, is listed for tanks 75 gallon and up. But seeing people using them on 40 gallon tanks. Still might go with the aquamax since it is a bit cheaper.
There should be a smaller reef octopus HOB but I have herd very good feedback from the aquaamax but make sure you didn't miss the reef octopus and be sure to compare them both before making a decision but a skimmer I guess if I say this may start a argument lol but it's a must. Not just for nutrients export but mainly to aerate the water and provide it with o2
n

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were you from my experience I would look into TBS live sand. Freshly harvested from the gulf of Mexico. Loaded with tons of beneficial bacteria. I purchased premium live rock from them. Tank is loaded with pods. And sponges and so much more life. @LiverockRocks
I found their site but would like to find a place that might be a lot cheaper. Their package for a 40-gallon tank with live rock and live sand would be about 650 dollars. Not really want to spend that much. Even if I have to use dry rock to save money.

James5214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Tampa so I could do local pick up but you.domt have to do all live rock just use some to seed your tank. I only used 5 pounds I already had about 25 pds of dry rock. You don't need. Whole tank to be LR unless you can afford it just a few.pds to seed the tank

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay I could do that only get like 5 lbs of rock from them. Where is a good place to find good quality dry rock that will not break the bank. As well as sand?
I'm in Tampa so I could do local pick up but you.domt have to do all live rock just use some to seed your tank. I only used 5 pounds I already had about 25 pds of dry rock. You don't need. Whole tank to be LR unless you can afford it just a few.pds to seed the tank

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a lot of my stuff off petco/petsmart. You could also pick it up at most lfs.
For my 40B I used about 10 pounds of live rock from a previously established tank and 20-40 (forget how much) pounds of caribsea life rock.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out Vipar spectra. Nice spectrum and powerful

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for some beginner fish, id suggest mollies or guppies. sheepshead minnow are also a great choice.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All 3 will work in there - mollies are the most commonly used in salt. Guppies really should be in freshwater. There are many fish that can live in both fresh and salt, but mollies are the most commonly seen in the trade.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know mollies since a friend had to reset her tank because it got wiped out by I believe Ick or something nasty. She used a Molly to see if the tank was either still infected or good to go. Would rather lose a 3-dollar fish vs something pretty expensive.

I see guppies can go in salt but seen comments they can not deal with any decent flow in a tank. So that kind of rules them out with a lot of corals that need flow.
All 3 will work in there - mollies are the most commonly used in salt. Guppies really should be in freshwater. There are many fish that can live in both fresh and salt, but mollies are the most commonly seen in the trade.

Danny G

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost really depends on what you would like in it. Initially startup cost is really where the pain point is. 10 gallon tank is a bit challenging due to the limited space for live stock. I would recommend the fluval 13 or 32.5 saltwater all in one system. I started with the 13 and upgraded 6 months later. I now have 3 tanks going! Cost on the 13 gallon after sand , live rock, heater and skimmer was about $500ish. The 32.5 was about $800. I think have my cost went into live rock on each setup. Maintenance after that is maybe $10-$20 a week between fish food, water changes and miscellaneous items needed to maintain tank.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cost really depends on what you would like in it. Initially startup cost is really where the pain point is. 10 gallon tank is a bit challenging due to the limited space for live stock. I would recommend the fluval 13 or 32.5 saltwater all in one system. I started with the 13 and upgraded 6 months later. I now have 3 tanks going! Cost on the 13 gallon after sand , live rock, heater and skimmer was about $500ish. The 32.5 was about $800. I think have my cost went into live rock on each setup. Maintenance after that is maybe $10-$20 a week between fish food, water changes and miscellaneous items needed to maintain tank.
If you followed the thread I switched to using a 40 gallon breeder tank. To save money I am going to use about 5 lbs of live rock and the rest will be the much cheaper dry rock.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heard back from the people who sell the Live sand and rock. Found I can get a decent amount of both from them for not too much money thank god.

Now have 3, 5 gallons and 2 , 7-gallon containers of Rodi water set to go. When I get a stand for the tank will put in the first 5 gallons of Rodi water to make sure it does not leak. Then add rock and sand to the rest of the water. Then can add wave makers and heaters. Get the tank up to temp then mix in the salt.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do the leak test with regular tap water and then drain it out - no sense in wasting rodi there.
Generally it’s best to mix salt before putting it in the tank. This will keep you from killing everything on your live rock and allow the salt to mix properly.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back