20 Gallon Showpiece fish: Pygmy angel, Filefish, or Ruby Red Dragonet

gconried

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was hoping to get some opinions and perspectives on what to add as a final showpiece fish to a 20 gallon and the level of appropriateness for each one considering my current livestock.

I am willing to re-home the clownfish if necessary to make room but did not want to move them prematurely.

I currently have 2 oscellaris clowns and one purple firefish.

My three ideal contenders are:
- Pygmy Angelfish (Cherub angel? or smaller that could permanently live in a 20)
- Radial, pygmy, or white-spotted filefish - has anyone kept them successfully in a 20?
- Ruby red Dragonet - some say doable others say 20 gallon does not usually hold enough pods to be stable

I am aware of the feeding requirements for the filefish and ruby red with and have been establishing pods but have also heard that a 20 gallon will not likely be able to hold enough of a stable pod population for even one ruby red dragonet.

I am open to all suggestions and comments but let's try to keep all differing opinions civil.

Thank you for help!

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was hoping to get some opinions and perspectives on what to add as a final showpiece fish to a 20 gallon and the level of appropriateness for each one considering my current livestock.

I am willing to re-home the clownfish if necessary to make room but did not want to move them prematurely.

- Pygmy Angelfish (Cherub angel? or smaller that could permanently live in a 20)
- Radial, pygmy, or white-spotted filefish - has anyone kept them successfully in a 20?
- Ruby red Dragonet - some say doable others say 20 gallon does not usually hold enough pods to be stable

I am aware of the feeding requirements for the filefish and ruby red with and have been establishing pods but have also heard that a 20 gallon will not likely be able to hold enough of a stable pod population for even one ruby red dragonet.

I am open to all suggestions and comments but let's try to keep all differing opinions civil.

Thank you for help!

I kept my Ruby Red in a 24 Gallon with a sump for almost 2 years when moved him to a 10 Gallon Nuvo until he jumped one night I forgot to put the screen back on :(.

He thrived while he was in my care with bi-monthly dosing of fresh pods and coaxing him to eat frozen (Wasn't easy, or cheap by any means). Personally I feel as long as you are dedicated, it's doable. Not easy and I'll say it right from the get go, but doable....

OP
OP
G

gconried

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept my Ruby Red in a 24 Gallon with a sump for almost 2 years when moved him to a 10 Gallon Nuvo until he jumped one night I forgot to put the screen back on :(.

He thrived while he was in my care with bi-monthly dosing of fresh pods and coaxing him to eat frozen (Wasn't easy, or cheap by any means). Personally I feel as long as you are dedicated, it's doable. Not easy and I'll say it right from the get go, but doable....

Thank you for the info!

I have an AIO and I am hoping to not keep up dosing for pods and if dosing continual pods is going to be required I think that the ruby will have to stay on the wish list until I get a bigger tank. The other option I was thinking of is seeing if ORA sells a Ruby that already eats frozen and saves the hassle.

At the moment, I think the Filefish is the leading contender for being appropriately sized and not too difficult to keep fed but I am worried that most sites suggest a 30 gallon is the minimum.

suta4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the angels, yeah they’re small but very active. Destructive behaviour and bullying increases as the fish matures, especially in such a small system. That’s why I wouldn’t keep one in a nano

OP
OP
G

gconried

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the angels, yeah they’re small but very active. Destructive behaviour and bullying increases as the fish matures, especially in such a small system. That’s why I wouldn’t keep one in a nano

Thank you! That was what I was thinking. It was the most unlikely of that list and I would hate to sacrifice everything at the behest of one fish.

I believe the last, and most likely hope, is for a pygmy or whitespotted filefish as the final adddition. I see for the most part a 30 gallon is recommended so I would hate to put a fish in a tank that it will only outgrow or be unsuited for but it also seems like a small fish that would manage in a 20 gallon from what I have seen.

Hoping someone has some personal experience that they can share!

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept Ruby Reds for a couple years now. I would advise against keeping them in a 20 without a lot of supplemental pod replacement. They are constant eaters and will lose weight quickly without a permanent food supply. Great fish, though!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pygmy angel would be a great centerpiece for a small tank, but I think a 20g is way too small. I kept one in a bc29 and although he seemed to thrive and be happy, I felt this was even undersized for his activity. They can also be on the aggressive side, and a smaller tank would only aggravate that trait.

While i don't have any direct experience with the dragonette, it is a very cool fish. I think the key would be supplemental feeding, if you are up to that that, then I think you could consider it.

I love the little filefish, they are especially fun as a bonded pair. I kept a pair of radials in a 29g, I would not consider them a showpiece fish, but I did enjoy them. What are the dimensions of your 20g, they are active but kind of hovering not really a lateral swimmer.

OP
OP
G

gconried

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pygmy angel would be a great centerpiece for a small tank, but I think a 20g is way too small. I kept one in a bc29 and although he seemed to thrive and be happy, I felt this was even undersized for his activity. They can also be on the aggressive side, and a smaller tank would only aggravate that trait.

While i don't have any direct experience with the dragonette, it is a very cool fish. I think the key would be supplemental feeding, if you are up to that that, then I think you could consider it.

I love the little filefish, they are especially fun as a bonded pair. I kept a pair of radials in a 29g, I would not consider them a showpiece fish, but I did enjoy them. What are the dimensions of your 20g, they are active but kind of hovering not really a lateral swimmer.

Thank you for the input. The consensus has been that an Angel would be a devil in a 20 gallon and the Ruby will require additional feeding to the point of an inconvenience so that leaves the filefish.

That was something that I had heard that they do better in a pair as well but I am worried I will be tight with 2 clowns, 2 filefish, and a purple firefish. Especially as I had hopes of one file fish and one goby but if they do much better in pairs then I will need to reconsider or sacrifice to not get the goby.

I have a 20 gallon waterbox cube.

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Thank you for help!
I want a ruby red for my 20g and i tihnk it should be doable. Stock ur tank with pods the same you would with a mandairn (lots and lots, plus some). Their the smallest dragonets, so it owuld take them longer to exhaust the pod population, plus if youre cultivating you should be set. PLus having one that eats porepared or frozen foods would be best

kylebeano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pair of ORA pygmy filefish have been one of my most treasured fish ever brought home. They have been in a 20g for a few months. Feed them some dragons breath algae and their poop is neon orange.

20200820_161906_1.gif

20200820_162410_2.gif

20200820_162521_1.gif

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back