20 gallon stocking? (First Tank)

CapnWreckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm currently cycling my first tank - this 20 gallon JBJ cube aquarium. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/20-gallon-nano-rimless-aio-aquarium-jbj.html

I understand that nano tanks aren't preferable for beginners but I'm going to keep on top of weekly water changes and testing, but I wanted to ask about stocking.

I want to stock my tank with

- 2 Ocellaris clowns

- 1 Royal Gramma

- 1 Yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair

Do you think that these 4 fish would be alright in my 20gal, or would it be too much bioload?

I understand that these sort of questions get asked a lot, not trying to be annoying or anything like that, it's just my first tank and I'd like to make sure I'm not messing anything up.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I'm currently cycling my first tank - this 20 gallon JBJ cube aquarium. https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/20-gallon-nano-rimless-aio-aquarium-jbj.html

I understand that nano tanks aren't preferable for beginners but I'm going to keep on top of weekly water changes and testing, but I wanted to ask about stocking.

I want to stock my tank with

- 2 Ocellaris clowns

- 1 Royal Gramma

- 1 Yellow watchman goby/pistol shrimp pair

Do you think that these 4 fish would be alright in my 20gal, or would it be too much bioload?

I understand that these sort of questions get asked a lot, not trying to be annoying or anything like that, it's just my first tank and I'd like to make sure I'm not messing anything up.
I think that seems like a reasonable stocking for a tank that size, personally. Good fish for the tank too!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine just don't add all 4 at the same time. Do 2 and then 3 weeks later another 2. I would do the gramma ans YWG first and clowns second.

Make sure you QT especially the clowns which are well known for brook from the LFS.

OP
OP
C

CapnWreckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks fine just don't add all 4 at the same time. Do 2 and then 3 weeks later another 2. I would do the gramma ans YWG first and clowns second.

Make sure you QT especially the clowns which are well known for brook from the LFS.
Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank. Is there any other option aside from just gambling it? I was planning on adding the clowns first to the tank and watching them for awhile before adding any other fish. Would that suffice?

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great starting set that should last you a long time

be prepared for hte shrimp deciding your landscape

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank. Is there any other option aside from just gambling it? I was planning on adding the clowns first to the tank and watching them for awhile before adding any other fish. Would that suffice?
There are some decent online vendors that do QT fish prior to shipping but you pay a surcharge. I personally think the clowns will be more territorial in a small tank which is why I suggested adding them last. Gives your goby and shrimp time to find their spot.

JaaxReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy captive bred direct from ORA, Biota, or Proaquatix. Way less likely to have illness than wild caught. If you really can’t QT, it lowers the risk for parasites significantly. Not a guarantee like proactive QT (always recommended), but better than buying wild caught and just tossing them in.

That being said, don’t buy captive bred from an LFS. As they already introduced them to their system and everything in it…

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back