OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would I need to hook up a 3 gallon refugium to my tank? just a small circulation pump then a tube? I’d probably put a micron sock over the tube to make the flow subtle and to only let out some of the rotifers and phyto

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if I’m correct,It’s going to basically do what a sump full of hornwort would do and it’s going to delete nitrogen from my tank and give my fish food

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of NPS?

Sun corals and stuff just need to be fed pellets and meaty foods like mysis. Don’t bother with a drip for those.

Many gorgs are photosynthetic so I would suggest those. The problem with the NPS ones isn’t just food but the fact they can’t easily protect themselves from algae and the reef lighting for soft corals and a phyto drip will certainly let algae potentially grow on them.

I would not attempt carnation corals in a 20g even with a 24/7 drip without an auto water changer to constantly also remove water for new clean water. Especially with light over it.

I think sun corals, large mouth dedros and photosynthetic gorgs will be fine though.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of NPS?

Sun corals and stuff just need to be fed pellets and meaty foods like mysis. Don’t bother with a drip for those.

Many gorgs are photosynthetic so I would suggest those. The problem with the NPS ones isn’t just food but the fact they can’t easily protect themselves from algae and the reef lighting for soft corals and a phyto drip will certainly let algae potentially grow on them.

I would not attempt carnation corals in a 20g even with a 24/7 drip without an auto water changer to constantly also remove water for new clean water. Especially with light over it.
How do I dose the phyto, do I just run it in like a pump w/ a drip mabye on a timer for night time or do I need to get a dosing pump?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d put my nps inside clay pots or under rocks to protect from light

NPS need flow though which they can’t get inside a pot. Some need very specific laminar flow.

This is why you will often see specific nps species tanks or just easier ones in reef tanks.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What calcium tests are cheap, I don’t want to micromanage my tank and I’d rather just go by looking at the life in the tank but if Its 100% NEEDED I could get a cheap one

I'd argue monitoring and micromanaging are two completely seperate things. COnstanlty changing things around and adding and removing things I'd see as micromanaging and will lead to failure. Testing and maintaining alkalinity, calcium and magnesium weekly with a good test kit you find easy to use (which may not translate to cheapest) I'd say is best way for you to learn how the life in your tank is supposed to look when it's happy as well as learn how the life in your tank is messing with said parameters. Routine testing long term is essential because corals can adapt to less than ideal conditions and still "look" ok but in reality be stressed.

To be honest, while I'm not in line with some of the above suggestions some of your comments lead me to be inclined to agree with the observation this is just going to be another wall banger thread.

Bribo12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than the want for nps this thread seems more reasonable actually... if you go nps dendros or sun corals would be about it. Reefers with many more years of experience constantly fail to keep nps gorgs and soft corals. Best leave them in the ocean. I’d add cuc as needed based on algae growth.

|Frank|

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is gonna turn into another wall banging thread
Everybody Loves Raymond Yes GIF by TV Land

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok this is all that I have in my cart, I will also need the all for reef and a ammonia alert. I got a pack of acintic bulbs and I’m gonna change 1 bulb into acintic then I will have a change of bulbs

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest challenge with NPS is they need CONSTANT food and very good water quality. Obviously the constant food messes up the water quality. A fuge would not keep up.

Successful nps tanks (more then just sun corals) often employ a fridge with dosers and several foods, not just phyto.

This is an example of a very successful NPS tank and you can see it employed a refrigerator dosing 4 different foods as well as a huge filtration system.

It also talks about how NPS need as much flow as SPS corals.

They have very specific care requirements and it all doesn’t revolve around just food.

This is why I ask what type of NPS. You didn’t say? Some are more forgiving then others. I am sure you don’t want to waste money.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s what I got I will prob get like a kit for calc alk mag and then a ph test

Attachments

• 9A4A91E7-753C-469A-9085-3CD090529A55.png
    9A4A91E7-753C-469A-9085-3CD090529A55.png
    625.2 KB · Views: 81
  • F80FC4AA-CB84-4042-B9DD-FFDAA99BE79A.png
    F80FC4AA-CB84-4042-B9DD-FFDAA99BE79A.png
    510 KB · Views: 83
  • C4B77AF6-AE1D-476A-8362-111BD095017D.png
    C4B77AF6-AE1D-476A-8362-111BD095017D.png
    499.9 KB · Views: 85
OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest challenge with NPS is they need CONSTANT food and very good water quality. Obviously the constant food messes up the water quality. A fuge would not keep up.

Successful nps tanks (more then just sun corals) often employ a fridge with dosers and several foods, not just phyto.

This is an example of a very successful NPS tank and you can see it employed a refrigerator dosing 4 different foods as well as a huge filtration system.

It also talks about how NPS need as much flow as SPS corals.

They have very specific car requirements and it all doesn’t revolve around just food.

This is why I ask what type of NPS. You didn’t say? Some are more forgiving then others. I am sure you don’t want to waste money.

Ok, I will give it a read later, I’m probably gonna stick to dendro and NPS sessile invertebrates like sponge and feather duster for now

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will give it a read later, I’m probably gonna stick to dendro and NPS sessile invertebrates like sponge and feather duster for now
Yah those choices should work well. Just take it slow and your tank will tell you as it grows.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd argue monitoring and micromanaging are two completely seperate things. COnstanlty changing things around and adding and removing things I'd see as micromanaging and will lead to failure. Testing and maintaining alkalinity, calcium and magnesium weekly with a good test kit you find easy to use (which may not translate to cheapest) I'd say is best way for you to learn how the life in your tank is supposed to look when it's happy as well as learn how the life in your tank is messing with said parameters. Routine testing long term is essential because corals can adapt to less than ideal conditions and still "look" ok but in reality be stressed.

To be honest, while I'm not in line with some of the above suggestions some of your comments lead me to be inclined to agree with the observation this is just going to be another wall banger thread.
Oh so I should monitor and not just shoot for numbers, becsuse what I thought is I have to have it exact with in a really small margin if I’m doing that kind of testing

Neros503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could use another hob filter like an aquaclear filter, take out the filter media and replace it with chaeto/macro algae as a refugium rather than a seperate tank. all you'd need then is a cheap light mounted on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 34 16.9%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 99 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%

Back