Status
Not open for further replies.

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so for my 20 long I’m starting to think about parameters would these parameters do well for softies and lps, I’m going to get 25 lb of salty bottom reef rock shipped air. 45 is like 100$ more which dosent sound that rational considering I doubt I could fit it all inside. I also want to get a salty bottom large invert sample pack which has
5 Blue Leg Hermits
5 Red Leg Hermits
5 Astrea Snails
5 Ninja Star Snails
5 Cerith Snails
5 Nassarius Snails
1 Emerald Crab
1 Porcelain Crab
1 Tiger Tail Cucumber
2 Serpent Starfish
1 Short Spined Urchin
is this too much for a 20g? I can’t change it, the main thing I want is the porcelain crabs and the cucumber and some other things) also what kind of live sand is best for my tank and how much should I get. Lastly should I get a wave maker for my tank along with my 75-110g filter (I’m looking at a maxi jet) and what kind of maintenance should I do with my water changes and what should I dose. I plan to dose phyto w/ a drip for like 1 hour a day 3 times a day also I wanna dose baking soda just to keep alk up, should I also get a ammonia alert and a calcium supplement? I am trying to do the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method which I’d assume could be applied to fresh and saltwater. What will I need besides a filter, a pump, a Heater, testing kit, and stuff to dose for the hardware in the tank.

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A brand new tank has no where near enough food those so you definitelly need to provide them with food (nori strips, algae wafers for the hermits to snack on, feeding the serpents whatever, etc.. I would not put the tiger tail cucumber in a new tank and especially that size (they get big).

As for sand, I like ocean direct (I have used it for years).

A wave maker may be handy but you will have to see how well you hob filter moves things around given that it is rated for a tank much larger than that.

For ammonia, just get a big bottle of cycling bacteria and you will be fine. Don't dose anything for ammonia since you are putting things in there already.

As for dosing, I would just do something like all for reef for a tank that size. Get a calcium and alkalinity test.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will just buy inverts as I go because the pakcage has a lot of stuff In it I don’t need. Will the tank be able to keep NPS lps and softies if I have a constant source of phyto in the tank?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a bucket of aged aquarium water from a reefer you trust I'd add that also. As far as dosing you need to be testing alklinity, calcium and magnesium and be ready to dose whichever is low. They can move together but can also move intdependantly so all three should be monitored regularly along with pH (I would suggest weekly for the first year). Watch your nutrients, I'd be hesitant to be adding that much phyto initially, not having any corals yet to use tehm up you may get nuisance algae issues.

zalick

A cup of water and a dash of salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend a tiger tail cucumber for a new tank nor for that size tank. It will probably starve.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I can get 200 gal for 40$ with Chewy auto ship and I can just get a cheap ro unit that treats like 200 gal on 1 filter and that lasts me 1 year

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And I can get 200 gal for 40$ with Chewy auto ship and I can just get a cheap ro unit that treats like 200 gal on 1 filter and that lasts me 1 year
Once again you need a RODI not a RO.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would be cheaper, distilled water from the store then salt or premixed salt? Thinking about it, id Rather not mess with rodi and filters and all that stuff

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can get a bucket of aged aquarium water from a reefer you trust I'd add that also. As far as dosing you need to be testing alklinity, calcium and magnesium and be ready to dose whichever is low. They can move together but can also move intdependantly so all three should be monitored regularly along with pH (I would suggest weekly for the first year). Watch your nutrients, I'd be hesitant to be adding that much phyto initially, not having any corals yet to use tehm up you may get nuisance algae issues.
What calcium tests are cheap, I don’t want to micromanage my tank and I’d rather just go by looking at the life in the tank but if Its 100% NEEDED I could get a cheap one

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone could make a shopping list on Amazon with the sunbeam light then a 400 gph maxi jet then like add other things I need that would be a good idea, I don’t know which things to get and not to get. I’m probably going to settle with one of those floating salt meters for sake of simplicity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 31 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 92 51.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back