Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and powder coated, so even worse for being near the tank, no powders or aerosol comes close to my reef
You know powder coat is inert after application right? There's absolutely no effect once the process is complete, as long as it's not in contact with the water there's no reason to worry.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i worry about splashing and it dripping down, but rusting was the most important reason. Also just putting it out there about the powder and aerosol so he knows

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understandably... But it's no longer a powder once the process is complete. Rusting of the base metal is a separate issue

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Squirrel!
Squirrel Come At Me Bro GIF

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i worry about splashing and it dripping down, but rusting was the most important reason. Also just putting it out there about the powder and aerosol so he knows
Same. I’d have to cut metal to use the hob too. What I will prob do is get balsa wood to make a frame custom and then use it and get some mesh from brs

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
go to hardware store and buy the frame for window screens to use with the screen in your link. The frame will cost you like 4 dollars maybe.

There are diy videos on how to do that. Super easy and sits on the rim of your tank.
1+ for me to, I plan to make one of these for my 29g.
Cartoon Yes GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to get mangrove branches and stuff from tannin aquatics or from real mangroves, I think if they are out of water and I sterilize it they should be ok and then shells and mabye a piece of palm bark I think would be fine. I know my friend who has cuttlefish has mangrove sticks and I think leafs in his cuttlefish display refugium

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to get mangrove branches and stuff from tannin aquatics or from real mangroves, I think if they are out of water and I sterilize it they should be ok and then shells and mabye a piece of palm bark I think would be fine. I know my friend who has cuttlefish has mangrove sticks and I think leafs in his cuttlefish display refugium
The shells should be OK, I have some in my tank that I collected from the wild:
DDB85302-644B-4131-B64E-B6643171FE5A.jpeg

(Excuse the algae ;Playful)

Branches of wood really don’t belong in saltwater tanks. It can be done, but it is a risk.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it may look decorative, wood has many chemical properties that will damage a reef. The ocean diffuses the released tannins and other by-products much better than 20 gallons. It may not hurt fish, but can be detrimental to corals. The only wood that may be fine is manzanita, as that releases very little tannins, but even then, it stained my 36 gallon tank yellow for a few weeks.
Also I advise against taking much from the shore, it is often illegal and fines will result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back