Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One screw up with a water change or one dead coral can set off a cascade of events.
And once again, even if a coral does not use certain nutrients, swings can still alter the chemistry to a dangerous level for all organisms. The first part of any solution is testing the water.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One screw up with a water change or one dead coral can set off a cascade of events.
And once again, even if a coral does not use certain nutrients, swings can still alter the chemistry to a dangerous level for all organisms. The first part of any solution is testing the water.
How would I get nutrient swings if I do Constant dosing and water changes and I keep a stable amount of stock. I don’t think calc alk or mag would be effected if I got a new Softie or something

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a tip that may be helpful:
It is easier to read when all thoughts are compiled into one posts rather than a stream of jumping ideas.
Also, not everything you think or see needs to be posted.
I don’t mean to be rude, but it would probably make reading this a lot easier for others.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I get nutrient swings if I do Constant dosing and water changes and I keep a stable amount of stock. I don’t think calc alk or mag would be effected if I got a new Softie or something
If something dies or you accidentally do something wrong, it can go bad.
Even if you do everything right and have good control, it doesn’t take much to set something off.
It takes years for a tank to reach that perfect stability.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If something dies or you accidentally do something wrong, it can go bad.
Even if you do everything right and have good control, it doesn’t take much to set something off.
It takes years for a tank to reach that perfect stability.
What? If a coral dies I’d remove it. And I’d be keeping like 80% macro 10% coral. Mabye like a leather and some xenia and gorgs

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What? That isn’t how the nitrogen cycle works in fw, if I had a small plant die in fw nothing would happen and in salt if a small coral which has little to no impact on the system died and then I did a wc I don’t think anything’s going to crash unless it was like the sea apple that died after 10 years because my friend shocked it with a water change

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not proud of using api. I plan to get better.
My Val melting in freshwater actually set off a huge algae outbreak, so I wouldn’t be too sure that plants won’t make a difference.
But corals are animals, and animals tend to release a lot more crap.
Yeah, a sea apple (or any echinoderm) dying can be devastating. I wouldn’t get one until your tank is very well established

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Idk why u would preach testing if you have a well running tank without a substantial test kit
Because even if I am doing something considered wrong I would like to see others do better. I plan on picking up a better kit soon, too much unpredictable to continue relying on api. Maybe hypocritical, but I’d rather be called a hypocrite and still help someone than be the guy who preached doing something wrong that would lead to a potentially devastating loss.

OP
OP
NoahLikesFish

NoahLikesFish

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not proud of using api. I plan to get better.
My Val melting in freshwater actually set off a huge algae outbreak, so I wouldn’t be too sure that plants won’t make a difference.
But corals are animals, and animals tend to release a lot more crap.
Yeah, a sea apple (or any echinoderm) dying can be devastating. I wouldn’t get one until your tank is very well established
I don’t plan getting one. Did you remove the dying Val? If my plants die absolutely nothing happens. It might be the number of plants I have that smother any algae that could creep up. Also, with my sw tank it’s going to be the same. The general principle is you should plant or coral stock a tank as much as you can
Possibly afford, even if it’s just nutrient sinks like xenia or caleurpa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back