20 Mixed Reef

mdcmonster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always been obsessed with the hobby and back in high school I had a FOWLR tank. This is my new 20 gallon Innovative Marine mixed reef tank. I built a custom stand for it that allows me all the storage and hideaways a normal expensive one would!

Tank has been running a little over 3 months now and everything is doing great! Already seeing coral growth on my plate coral and acan. I did lose a hammer coral but I was being dumb and running my lights at full intensity for too long. I corrected my lights but not in time to save my hammer. So far that is the only casualty! Just added my new IM DC skimmer about 2 hours ago. I think, so that I do not bottom out nutrients or fluctuate alk too much, I am going to be doing small water changes every other day as opposed to one bigger one a week. I am assuming I will be getting around to dosing here in the next few months but until then, WCs will hold me over.

I will be adding corals weekly or bi weekly until it is stocked up pretty nice. I would like to do an acan garden as the main piece.

Wanted to get this post up and going so I can watch my tank over the years to come (assuming I don't royally mess up).
IMG-6347.JPG
IMG-6324-1.JPG
IMG-6317.JPG
IMG-6328.JPG
IMG-6337.JPG
IMG-6332.JPG

OP
OP
mdcmonster

mdcmonster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I would post an update for my future self to look back on and maybe for those who just like low quality pictures!

Redid a little bit of the scape so that I could have a designated zoa rock so nothing in the future gets smothered by them. I felt the need to make sure things are going to be perfect for when the tank grows out, I suppose that is responsible thinking. The zoas were on the rock that also contained 3 sps frags so I did not want to have a fiasco down the road. I added sveral new coral but had to stop due to leaving for vacation soon. I am going out of town for 2 weeks and my lovely girlfriend will be feeding and doing a few water changes (fingers crossed I am a good teacher). I am hoping to start dosing here in the the next few months as my frags grow out!

Fair warning, not great with names. I buy the stuff I think looks good, cheap, and easy! Really not concerned about the names.

What I added:
mint green pavona
forest fire montipora? Cannot remember the exact name but it is a monti
scrambled eggs zoas
utter chaos zoas
acans (the ones with pink)
acans (the ones with bright green centers)
pagoda cup
xenia (kept on a separate rock to control spreading, the girlfriend liked it)

I am also pleased to say that my birdsnest is doing great and actually showing growth under my kessil a80s! I may upgrade down the line but they are doing swell right now for the task I have put them up against. Also that bubble tip is growing like a beast!

IMG-6490.JPG
IMG-6530.JPG
IMG-6531.JPG
IMG-6532.JPG
IMG-6533.JPG
IMG-6534.JPG

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 70 44.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 74 46.8%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.9%

Back