20 year hiatus

back2thereefer

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 1, 2024
Messages
1
Reaction score
20
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. I've decided to get back into the saltwater hobby after a 20 year hiatus. I recently visited my nephew who recently got into the hobby. It reminded me how much I enjoyed the hobby. My previous tanks were a 120 long in the living room and a 55 that was built into my master bedroom wall. The other side of the tank was a two-seater whirlpool tub in the bathroom. It was very therapeutic to soak in the tub and watch the fish. Both tanks had MH lights, sumps, protein skimmers, and a canister filter. I also used RO water. I still have all of the old gear but I plan to start new and setup the old tanks for mixing and quarantine. I bought a biocube32 to get started only because this tank will be in a smaller space and I want it to look like a piece of furniture. One of my other hobbies is making furniture so I could not under any circumstance start a new tank without also making the stand. I haven't decided on wood yet. Most likely walnut or cherry to match the other furniture in the house. I'll create a build thread once I have enough content to do so. I plan to start out with some soft corals and a few fish. I'll upgrade the cube lighting and filtration accordingly. I may also build a hood for it but for now will just use the included one.
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
Hey all. I've decided to get back into the saltwater hobby after a 20 year hiatus. I recently visited my nephew who recently got into the hobby. It reminded me how much I enjoyed the hobby. My previous tanks were a 120 long in the living room and a 55 that was built into my master bedroom wall. The other side of the tank was a two-seater whirlpool tub in the bathroom. It was very therapeutic to soak in the tub and watch the fish. Both tanks had MH lights, sumps, protein skimmers, and a canister filter. I also used RO water. I still have all of the old gear but I plan to start new and setup the old tanks for mixing and quarantine. I bought a biocube32 to get started only because this tank will be in a smaller space and I want it to look like a piece of furniture. One of my other hobbies is making furniture so I could not under any circumstance start a new tank without also making the stand. I haven't decided on wood yet. Most likely walnut or cherry to match the other furniture in the house. I'll create a build thread once I have enough content to do so. I plan to start out with some soft corals and a few fish. I'll upgrade the cube lighting and filtration accordingly. I may also build a hood for it but for now will just use the included one.
Welcome to R2R and Happy Reefing!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 7.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 16 25.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 9.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new