200 gal. 48x33x30 Starfire Glass Build Thread

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just quick recap of how this all came about:
I've known a gentleman who lives in Miami through a business relationship between the companies we work for. He's been into saltwater aquariums for 25 years and the thank you are seeing is a culmination of 25 years of experience and he designed it as the last one he would ever own. So about 6 months ago he decided he decided he had gone as far as he could go with the hobby and it was consuming so much of his time it wasn't enjoyable so he gave away all his fish and corals and nuked the system with fresh water :shocked: So we have talked about aquariums and he knew I had a 120 gal. mixed reef aquarium and so out of the blue he asked if I would want his entire set up and the only condition was I would set it up and enjoy it and not selling things off on Craigslist to make a quick buck... well you can imagine I said Heck Yeah I'll take it! :rockon: I do realize how blessed I am in receiving this gift as I could never afford such a complex system with all the bells and whistles. It was off to Miami with my pick up and rented cargo van and transported everything back to Cocoa Beach and over the past month I've been setting it up.

Here's a short list and some pics
1. Controller system.
2. 2 Iwaki pumps with a special valve to create wave circulation in the tank and a wave controller.
3. Sump with two reactors (Phosphate and Carbon) and a huge protein skimmer. Denitrifier
4. Canopy lights look like they are a combination LED and Power Compacts
5. RO/DI filters with 50 gallon make up tank and Kalk storage tank.
6. Chiller
7. UV sterilizer
8. Stand and tank appear to be custom made with numerous thru holes drilled for separate intake, out flows for the wave maker pump and circulation pump.
9. The mother load of salts, dosing stuff, tools, PVC fittings, spare parts, etc.
10. Battery back up to run the system in the even of power failure.

Here's some pics of how the sump was set up at his house.

photo005.jpg

I decided to reorganize the stand and here's some pics of it coming together. The large valve is to switch current back and forth to simulate waves and it works really well!

IMG_20140531_145129.jpg

IMG_20140531_193608.jpg

This was the hardest part... explaining to the wife why a aquarium needs a AC unit and why you have to drill holes for one inch pipe through the wall house to plumb it to tank :xd: Also a buddy of mine who is a electrician split the electrical load across two house circuits to avoid any power issues.

7357F9E8-4F70-4079-A677-0E91B3324B89.jpg

sump completed and water flowing :rockon: An astute observer will probably notice the valve is missing for the wave maker and that's because it burned up and would cost 500 bucks to replace so I T'd it and set the pump to cycle on and off every 40 minutes. Not the best solution but it will have to do until I have save up 500 bucks....

IMG_20140620_130559.jpg

and finally, here's the tank!

IMG_20140601_115313.jpg

BRS pukani coral heads which are awesome and some of my live rock from the 120 to start seeding the tank.

Controller system and UV

4EF4D7B7-E5C7-45A7-96CF-E73828C56E54.jpg

A1C7C8DE-79D1-4CC2-B1AA-430C3B5B28C7.jpg

IMG_20140601_183842.jpg

completed! all live stock switched over and no fatalities!!!! :rockon:

0C608769-0478-4F9F-BB9D-82A0285B7F18.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Wow great story! Happily following along and congrats! Super nice of the man as well. :)

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! My crappy iPhone just doesn't do the tank justice as it's quite a site to behold when lights are fired up with super clear starfire glass.

The cool thing is he is planning on coming up to Cocoa Beach to see the tank and dial everything in for optimum coral growth! :rockon:

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the spirit of paying it forward.

I have a buddy of mine who has a 90 gal. reef tank who couldn't afford a 120 gal. reef set up so in the same spirit of me getting the 200 gal. I gave him my 120 set up with the same condition of not selling it off on craigslist and he agreed as quickly as I agreed to take the 200!

SeattleReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've given but never have received a thing. LFS has received from me, never a response back??? Oh well, don't expect it. You asked the question. Nice gift for Beachsidereefer.

TankedNTn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Through Mr. Saltwater Tank's Tank Make Over I was given the following:

-90 gallon tank with stand and roll-up canopy
-Trigger System Sump
-Avast CS1 Cone Skimmer with Avast Davy Jones Locker
-Avast GFO/Carbon Reactor
-Avast ATO system
-Neptune Apex system
-Two MP40s
-Two Ecotech Radion Pros
-Ecotech Reeflink
-Plus all the sand, Some Rock work and Corals.

I'm sure I probably left something out but it was a pretty cool deal and experience. Now it's been closing in on a year and I'm itching to upgrade....**** this hobby!

racin2438

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking setup, good luck with your new system , and remember to pay it forward next time too......

Art_z37

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad gave me his 75 gal tank, stand, canopy, and lights. This Christmas I'm going to be getting him a 16 gallon innovative marine tank. The reason he didn't want his 75 anymore was because he moved and didn't want to worry about a lot of water getting on his new wood floors. I know he has to be missing saltwater, so the nano tank will be perfect for him. I went ahead and told him about cause I didn't want to spend that kind of money on something he didn't really want.

OP
OP
B

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for the positive comments!

I must say the most impressive part is the Automation. It takes a little bit of reading but once I got the hang of it I've fully programmed the tank!

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 25 16.3%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 63 41.2%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back