200g New build design phase

flyboysmb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a new house and am designing a fish room (yeah me!). The tank size is ~ 72" x 30" x 28" (LxWxH). The tank will sit in the fish room with the front seen in our family room.

Screen Shot 2020-05-09 at 9.56.20 AM.png

I am thinking I want the front and back panels clear so I can view the tank from inside the fish room as well as the family room. The sides could be clear or black, what do you think? I am also thinking of using external overflows on each end of the tank with return lines on the ends as well. Do you think I need an overflow at each end or could I get away with one overflow at one end? This would allow unobstructed views from inside the fish room. There is ~6-8" between the tank sides and the walls, should be enough for overflows & plumbing. The sump will be under the tank. I plan to use steel beams running left to right for the structure of the tank stand so there are no posts to work around in the sump area.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Steve

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
one overflow will be fine as long as you size it to your return pump. i like the idea of being able to see the tank from the inside the fish room. however that will present 2 challenges. one is while looking at the tank from the living room you will be able to see into your fish room. i dont know about you but my whole reason to have a fish room is to be able to leave fish related thing out and not have to look at them while looking at my tank. the other issue is aquascaping. its tough to aquascape a tank that is visually appealing from both long viewing panes. what a friend of mine does who has a similar setup as you are doing is. he painted a piece of insulation black and has little velcro tabs on it to put up against the fish room side when he is in the living room. then its as simple as pulling off the piece of foam (or cardboard) when he is in the fish room and wants to view the tank from that side.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 31 19.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back