2018 Noobie

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am Boa (or CV) and I am a total reef noobie in Southern California. I have always had small and simple freshwater aquariums and I just decided to try my first seawater. I am still in the research phase and the supreme guide to setting up a seawater aquarium on this site has been by far the most helpful resource I have found. Still have lots to read though. One of the first questions I had if I may, was related to the location of my setup. I wont be able to place it anywhere in my home where it doesn't get at least some sunlight for a couple hours. The best location I have will still get some indirect sunlight for a couple of hours in the afternoon on one of the sides of the tank. (I have a 48x18x18. Light would hit one of the 18 sides). Would you recommend I don't even try to set up my aquarium if the light hits it for a couple hours? one idea I had was perhaps using one of the 3d foam backgrounds in the inside and/or some reflective material on the outside to block the light at least to some degree on that side of the tank

Thanks in advance and really happy to start this new hobby and be part of R2R!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here.

Indirect sunlight is OK. Please keep us posted with your build progress with tons of photos! :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r! I agree, I direct sunlight wont hurt anything. May just need to clean that glass panel more ;)
200.gif
#Welcometor2r

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back