2023, what salt mix do you use?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals. Only salt I've used. It does leave a brown film on the mixing/holding container but it's never caused me problems. In the past I had a 120 mixed reef 125 sps 90 nps 2 300 stock tank fowlrs 75ish show fuge and 3 100 stock tank sumps/ frag. 150-200g monthly water change. Now a 30ish gallon reef/grow out waiting on me to set up either the 85cube or the 180.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was using RS BB but found the Mg to b low. Also with the Mg bumped a bit coraline takes off. From my exp. So I switched to the AF reef. Has the numbers dialed in to where I like to keep my parameters for the big 3.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use regular Instant Ocean. Yes, it is a bit dirty but that has never caused any problem in the tank in all the years I have used it. Its very reliable and that is what means the most to me. Also I can tailor the salt to my needs by dosing 2 part if I choose or any other additives.

707Nick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running low on Coralife salt and they’re not longer in business for salt. Initially I was looking at Fritz but then Aquaforest caught my eyes that it’s cheaper and also I can use the code on each batch to check on the IcP test.

200g for $60 is pretty reasonable to me. I typically change out 35g weekly.

My friend is testing Instand Ocean, but he says it’s a bit dirty.

Or if you have a better recommendation for about the same price range. Thanks
Super dirty, I use tropic marin

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same thing I've been using since the 90's, plain old Instant Ocean. Its everywhere and anywhere (in comparsion to other salts). Its like a lover waiting with open arms, every time I leave its there calling, waiting, lol.

I've tried fritz red & blue (good alternative), red sea (now too expensive), coralife (used to be a great deal), oceanic (discontinued but great lfs price), Kent (was ok when there was a 200g deal on). In the end good old IO still rules the roost (and my wallet).

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef crystals and heres a hint. Pet smart has them online for around $39 for 200g bucket. If your in the store its not marked down. Plus they will ship for free. But i usually just pick it up.
Yup just ask petco/petsmart for the internet price and they will match it. My local stores want to see the price so I have to pull it up on my phone @ the register, but no big deal.

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AF reef salt for my reefs, and recently swapped to AF salt (the fish only one) for QT purposes. It is cheaper than IO (if you get the 200 gallon bag), it mixes super clean in about 15 minutes (whereas IO purple bucket takes a VERY long time to clear up), and has ICP results for each batch...

I HIGHLY recommend AF salts. I switched from tropic Marin and will not be going back.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use AF reef salt for my reefs, and recently swapped to AF salt (the fish only one) for QT purposes. It is cheaper than IO (if you get the 200 gallon bag), it mixes super clean in about 15 minutes (whereas IO purple bucket takes a VERY long time to clear up), and has ICP results for each batch...

I HIGHLY recommend AF salts. I switched from tropic Marin and will not be going back.
AF as in Aqua Forest? If you can get that cheaper than purple IO at 200g, show me a link?!

cwerner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regular IO salt is what I've been using. It works fine and tends to mix clean at cooler temperatures, it's only when it's heated that it precipitates. I just picked up a bag of Caledonia from Chewy and am going to try that.

A/C or D/C, What’s Your Preference?

• A/C

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • D/C

Votes: 68 65.4%
  • Both

Votes: 20 19.2%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 14 13.5%
Back