OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 years in hobby. Salts I've used. Kent, hw, fritz, red sea blue and black, nyos.

Nyos is amazing. I can't believe people are not talking more about this salt. I've been using it since the day it came out to the public. Each batch is Triton tested and the batch's alk, CA, mag is right on the top of the bucket without having to give out your email or sign in. The Triton test you scan with your phone for instant results. No giving out your info. It's insanely clean. No residue even after several mixes in the bucket. Almost instant mix. Company states use it within minutes or store. They claim that their salt is made in such a way that precipitation will not occur. Consistency. From the top of the bucket to the bottom I got the same results. So no more rolling or stirring bags of salt. I'll never switch back. This salt has really made tank maintenance so much easier for me.

Red sea was so inconsistent unless I rolled it all around, and was one of the dirtiest salts I've used. Five mixes and there would be a layer of mud in everything. Then there were all the rules in mixing. And I know why they have them. Alk would drop if the salt wasn't used almost immediately. Kent was much cleaner and my second favorite, but it took a long time to mix and the calcium was through the roof. Hw was my hopeful but the water was tinged yellow and the mix had a very small shelf life after mixed just like the red sea. Fritz crashed my tank years ago. Granted they were new and hadn't ironed out the kinks yet. Owner actually texted me through Facebook to explain why. That was a different time for sure.

Nyos is one of those salts that just takes the concern out of this piece of the hobby. I can just trust it.
Any reason why it crashed your tank? Inconsistent parameters?

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason why it crashed your tank? Inconsistent parameters?
I bet you can go waaaaay back into the threads about it here on reef to reef. I was under the user name Devi then. It had something to do with the magnesium. It was one of the weirdest things ever. Apparently he knew a LFS here in town that was touting this salt as the bees knees. So everyone bought some and everything was fine for a few weeks until the bad parameters caught up with me. Many had tanks large enough so it was caught in time, my little nano was a goner. After posting here and on our facebook group the owner reached out to me on facebook to at first tell me I was wrong, then finally admitted they were "new" to this and they made mistakes but they wouldn't happen again. He claimed they bought this recipe off the original owner and some tweeks they put in were an issue. I tried to find the old convo but it was so many years ago so unfortunately just hearsay now. He went into depth about the issue and what they did to resolve it. He even sent me a free bag which I gave away.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First it doesn’t tell me how many gallons does 20kg make, second it’s lot more expensive that fritz to me. I typically change out 35g weekly.
Dude I feel ya math SUCKS. But I'll do it for you. 135 gallons. Yes it's expensive. I don't care about that. This is hands down the best salt ever.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Nyos is amazing. I can't believe people are not talking more about this salt...

Price and how new it is.

I agree it is amazing and share your same thoughts about NYOS and Red Sea. I included NYOS in my Ultimate Salt Test and will release all the results this week of what I found. It has been my salt since the first batch I made up. Worth every penny IMO. Grab it on sale when it happens.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two friends they had being using fritz for couple of years with no issues. Recently, I got a deal from a local reefer with 8 boxes, so knock on woods be ok.

Devisissy

Kiss My Wrasse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got two friends they had being using fritz for couple of years with no issues. Recently, I got a deal from a local reefer with 8 boxes, so knock on woods be ok.
Right, I am talking about back when Fritz first came out. There were many issues. I'm sure you are fine.

Price and how new it is.

I agree it is amazing and share your same thoughts about NYOS and Red Sea. I included NYOS in my Ultimate Salt Test and will release all the results this week of what I found. It has been my salt since the first batch I made up. Worth every penny IMO. Grab it on sale when it happens.

The triton testing is incredible value right there. No small hard to find batch number that requires entering your email to get results. This is huge since salt has been one of those parts of reefing that has never really had major improvements on. Nyos makes lofty claims. Over this past year I have found all these claims to be true. The only thing I haven't tested is how shelf stable the salt is premixed. The longest I went was 1 month. I had a powerhead on the salt. They claim you don't need to aerate it to store. The salt itself is very fine. Much finer than my red sea, I noticed a few small clumps in some of my batches, however this could be small drops of water from my scoop I use to measure out the salt. I really should pay more attention. I'll never go back to anything else.

reef4dum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For 25 years I used Instant Ocean in my fish only tank. The main reason was simply when I first started my salt aquarian that was the only salt that was on the shelf at my local pet store, and the one I found elsewhere. I always felt it was more dirtier, grittier and harder to mix leaving clumps I had to mash up. I dealt with it because I didn’t know any better.

I’m starting a new reef tank now and I’ve switched to TLF ACCURASEA 1. I like the pre-measured packs and it helps to not clump what is unused between mixes. I love how smooth and clean it is. It just appears like it was pre-sifted for a smoother pour. It dissolves much better for me. I run 4.5 g & powerhead in a 5 gal bucket overnight for about 8 hrs. It is clearer that IO and much more consistent a mix for me. So conclusion if it makes things easier and cleaner it’s for me.

If I need something in a pinch or emergency I may grab a small IO because as I mentioned it’s everywhere avail and cheap.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up settling down with fritz for now since I got a great deal and they’re pretty much everywhere. I usually like to stack up on stuffs so I don’t see I will be running into any salt shortage. The Coralife will last me till the end of the year for sure if not more.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back