2023, what salt mix do you use?

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switched from TM Pro to Instant Ocean. Biweekly 15%-20% water changes.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly used reef crystals or IO. The only problem I have with them is that the alkalinity is too high for my tastes. The other problem is both are in somewhat short supply and prices have jumped. I used to get RC from Amazon around $55, but they no longer have it other than some hack vendors selling for $100+ for a 200g box. I ended up getting a box of IO from chewy over the weekend for $68 shipped. BRS has not had the 200g box in a while either. My other choice would be Tropic Marin but they have had some quality issues and even at that prices jumped. Aquaforest is promising but prices to high as still a little to boutiquey.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used it before, one out of 10 times I would have brown stuffs floating on the surface and that the reason why.
Never had the brown stuff floating.
Reef Crystals is the only salt I’ve ever used.
Great minds think alike Go Blue
Yeah I know it’s high I just don’t change enough at a single time to matter, and if I’m doing some kind of huge water change then something is horribly wrong and the alk is the least of my concerns.
I can see why that would deter many people though.
Agree. I've done a 20g and 30g on a approx 90g system. Never seen corals react. If your running 9 dkh and you did a 50% change you may only see a 1pt jump.

Acroconut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used Reef Crystals back in the 1990's and still using it today.....no problems.

Aeiyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running low on Coralife salt and they’re not longer in business for salt. Initially I was looking at Fritz but then Aquaforest caught my eyes that it’s cheaper and also I can use the code on each batch to check on the IcP test.

200g for $60 is pretty reasonable to me. I typically change out 35g weekly.

My friend is testing Instand Ocean, but he says it’s a bit dirty.

Or if you have a better recommendation for about the same price range. Thanks
I use aquaforest reef salt. I don't have corals yet, but my inverts didn't have any issues acclimating to it and my two clownfish are doing quite well. the IcP test on the batch code was a strong buypoint for me as another level of potential control as I'm new to the hobby and have a small nano reef. Knowing what goes in to such a small water volume can be quite crucial from what i've been told getting into this.

The price was also quite nice at 75 bucks for 165 gallons. the one large 22kg bucket will last me half a year or just over with 10-20% water changes weekly.

00W

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used red sea coral pro for years. Mixes faster than anything but I don't have many corals so switched to IO and I like it just fine. I mix it Sunday night and use it Monday morning.
I get a 5 gallon bucket delivered to my door by petco every month for $26 -I just can't say no to that.

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use instant ocean most of the time. I used salt from liveaquaria for a while. Got a seller deal on reef salt during a black Friday and bought several large buckets. Most recently I just picked up a blue bucket of salt, can't remember the name on top of my head but excited to try it. Seems very popular with other local reefers.

Norcoreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've run instant ocean purple in a 55 gal for about 6-9 months and idk it was alright.

I just started a 5 and was running some borrowed RPM and it was nice to mix and mixed to a good clear water. I've now got a pail of some expensive stuff (red sea salt) and am waiting till I use up the last of the RPM before I dig into it.

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till AF Reef Salt goes on sale and buy 400g worth. It’s the least expensive and mixes very close to my tank preferences. May switch to Fritz RPM next year as it’s around the same cost, but mixes at the exact parameters I like.

Jasonak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
https://maps.app.goo.gl/m8dA7ejkn7hk7CWZ8
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have mostly used reef crystals or IO. The only problem I have with them is that the alkalinity is too high for my tastes. The other problem is both are in somewhat short supply and prices have jumped. I used to get RC from Amazon around $55, but they no longer have it other than some hack vendors selling for $100+ for a 200g box. I ended up getting a box of IO from chewy over the weekend for $68 shipped. BRS has not had the 200g box in a while either. My other choice would be Tropic Marin but they have had some quality issues and even at that prices jumped. Aquaforest is promising but prices to high as still a little to boutiquey.
If you buy through pet smart home delivery its cheap and you get a good price on first order if you setup auto delivery, I think I paid 38.00 for the reef crystal bucket delivered to my door. Even if you just buy online and pickup at store I think its like 15 percent off.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep -- aqua forest. Link for BRS: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sea-salt-mix-aquaforest.html

The IO bucket is 160 gallons and costs a bit more at least on BRS. You may find that amount for less in other places, but the quality is really hard to beat for that price IMHO.

I'm seriously impressed, Its cheaper than IORC at 200g's through petco/petsmart (dont count the bogus 35% off hack). I'm aware the IO/IORC 160g is usually a better deal per gallon of salt cost but wow to Aqua Forest.

Screenshot from BRS ready to purchase.
Screenshot_20230621-065637.png

If it was something I could get through my LFS in an emergency, I'd totally try it.

Rhino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s easy to find IO cheap, I have never paid over $45 for a bucket. Petsmart frequently has 20% off when you do in store pickup. Got this yesterday

Attachments

• IMG_3537.png
    IMG_3537.png
    323.5 KB · Views: 26

hunterallen40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seriously impressed, Its cheaper than IORC at 200g's through petco/petsmart (dont count the bogus 35% off hack). I'm aware the IO/IORC 160g is usually a better deal per gallon of salt cost but wow to Aqua Forest.

Screenshot from BRS ready to purchase.
Screenshot_20230621-065637.png

If it was something I could get through my LFS in an emergency, I'd totally try it.
Just to be clear, this is not a reef salt. It is equivalent to the purple bucket.

The reef salt is more expensive ($72.99 on BRS), but it's a pretty fair price IMHO for the quality. In terms of quality it is very much on par with tropic Marin, and has a lot more magnesium than most mixes do (~1400).

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, this is not a reef salt. It is equivalent to the purple bucket.

The reef salt is more expensive ($72.99 on BRS), but it's a pretty fair price IMHO for the quality. In terms of quality it is very much on par with tropic Marin, and has a lot more magnesium than most mixes do (~1400).
I was aware of that, it was just a quick and dirty comparison to show that there is something else truly comparable in price to IO. Everything else is that much more $ (Red Sea, Tropic Marin, etc...)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back