2023, what salt mix do you use?

garyd12503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Instant Ocean for my fish only. I remember it being dirty. I use Red Sea Pro for my reef, I've only been at the reef For 6months. I watched a BRS video last year when doing research for my new tank, and they said Red Sea pro was good.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaforest reef salt for seven years and now Aquforest Hybrid pro for the past two months. Mixes clear in minutes I run my alk low and more Coraline grows very fast.

Azael

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea and Red Sea Coral Pro.
But I am thinking to try something new in a while.

Tha Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red sea coral pro salt. Its about $90 for the 200 gallon bag.
Red sea the blue bucket is 80$ and used by some of my favorite coral farmers.

I bought a used tank and currently using instint ocean reef. Seem to be working fine. 3 weeks in..

I wanna switch in the near future.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a whole new bag of Red Sea blue the 200g sack in reserve haven’t used it since AF had become more readily available to the American reefer. Bought it cause of the major elemental ratio as per the icp listed on salt. And it’s where I like to keep my tank. Also The quality of the mix and the duration it takes to get clarity are +.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Blue, although I do mix in about 20% IO as well sometimes to get the alkalinity closer to 8.5-8.8.

Pelagikos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea Blue Bucket. Mixes clean for me with power head. The trick is not to mix it for too long, approximately 20 minutes.
I have a mixed reef, acros-euphyllia.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just look at the responses here. Long time reefers, IO, fairly new reefers choose whats popular like red sea and AF, or what the hype machine BRS tells them to use.

Salt will not magically make your reef better. Among the major brands, salt is salt, just choose what matches your price point and parameters you want to keep.

Long time reefer(going on 20+ years). I have used just about every salt on the market, and always find myself going back to plain jane purple box IO. Price is decent, it's one of the most consistent salts on the market, widely available in just about any pet store on the planet, and just about every large aquarium/museum on the planet uses it.

Those are facts that cannot be disputed.

OP
OP
F

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just look at the responses here. Long time reefers, IO, fairly new reefers choose whats popular like red sea and AF, or what the hype machine BRS tells them to use.

Salt will not magically make your reef better. Among the major brands, salt is salt, just choose what matches your price point and parameters you want to keep.

Long time reefer(going on 20+ years). I have used just about every salt on the market, and always find myself going back to plain jane purple box IO. Price is decent, it's one of the most consistent salts on the market, widely available in just about any pet store on the planet, and just about every large aquarium/museum on the planet uses it.

Those are facts that cannot be disputed.
My biggest hold back is that it mixes dirty.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple and easy fix for that.

BRS did a video a while back where they used a sediment filter from and RO/DI unit to "filter" the water before sending it to the tank. I took that one step further and put one on a recirculating loop. My barrels are as clean as they were on day one.

homer1475

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of those that say they are moxing for 5 to whatever minutes should watch the BRS video about salt mixes and how long it actually takes them to be a homogeneous mix.

Most mixes took anywhere from a few hours, to 24 hours to become homogeneous.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.7%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back