20g fish list

Discussion in 'Fish Discussion' started by jorahx, Jan 4, 2018.

1. -SHRiMPar0306_

-SHRiMPar0306_ Active Member

If you have a deep sand bed (like 3-4”) I would recommend a smaller species of Jawfish such as the yellow heads. As said above pink Streaked wrasses are docile and stay small. Possum wrasses are another option. If you want a group of like 3-5 fish I would recommend Fairy gobies such as Tryssogobius Colini. Beautiful fish (I think from Okinawa Japan) that stays 1” Max and shoals easily. A pair of Blue stripe Pipes are also a choice if you are up for the challenge. Other choices: Firefish (Helfrichis are gorgeous), swissguard basslets, Pictus Blenny, flaming prawn Goby, ascension Goby, hasselts Goby, stippled Clingfish, Yasha Goby with red Banded shrimp pair, Neon Goby.

If you like the shape of Coral Banded Shrimp I would strongly recommend either the Blue Coral Banded or Zanzibar Boxer Shrimp. They stay around two inch and are totally peaceful, couldn’t hurt a clown Goby. Bumble bee shrimp are slightly uncommon and are a great choice for a small tank. As said above pedersons Anemone Shrimp are also a good choice. Narwhal shrimp and big eye shrimp are quite rare in the hobby (they are reported reef safe to my knowledge). Squat lobsters, Pom Pom crabs, armored chitons, and Xenia swimming crabs can work but not sure if they have a chance of aggressiveness.

2. GoldeneyeRet

GoldeneyeRet Active Member

I have two squat lobsters in my 120, they are cool. Not aggressive and very visible.

-SHRiMPar0306_ likes this.
  3. Jesterrace

Jesterrace Well-Known Member

Smart move. 6 line wrasse and hawkfishes in a 20 gallon tank=trouble. If you are dead set on getting a wrasse you could look into the pygmy or possum wrasses for that size of tank.

4. jorahx

jorahx Active Member R2R Supporter Build Thread Contributor

Yeah I think I decided against a wrasse and a hawk.

New plan will be. Two clowns one yellow goby and one ruby red dragonet (once I build up my pods)

5. eatbreakfast

eatbreakfast Fish Nerd Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Showcase Editor Expert Contributor Partner Member 2018 Partner Member

A ruby red dragonet will decimate a pod population in short order.

6. jorahx

Yeah I have two refugiums for pods to live in.

7. jorahx

One compartment of the nuvo 20 is full of MP spheres. Other is a cheeto reactor. Hoping to harvest so many pods that a dragonet will be happy for years to come.

8. crayon

crayon Active Member

Also look at Lolita gracilatus with a shrimp commensal or a banded cave goby. Trimma or Eviota gobies are small and will school. With small shrimp stay away from the hawks or the basslets even though basslets are a fabulous fish for a small tank.
    Grissingri goby, Dracula goby.
    Maybe even an assessor.
    Blue line pipe fish.
    Pearly jawfish

KP Aquatics has a nice list of fish for small tanks.

jorahx likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted