20inch Remora

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a remora ? My LFS has had one for 6 months now in what seems to be a 40 gallon tank in a dark corner. He’s huge about 20 inches I’d say. I feel it’s very cruel to have such a fish in small tank for so long. Wondering what the minimum tank size is for this guy or if anyone has one ??Contemplated buying him and donating him to an aquarium....not sure why they would even acquire and attempt to sell a fish like that.....

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to hear - it is possible that the pet store took it back from a customer, or it arrived unordered in a shipment. They can grow to 3'+ long, so you might want to take a pass on that. Public aquariums won't take them because they pester all the other large fish in the tank - glomming on them for a free ride.

Jay

OP
OP
FlexingFishSticks

FlexingFishSticks

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad to hear - it is possible that the pet store took it back from a customer, or it arrived unordered in a shipment. They can grow to 3'+ long, so you might want to take a pass on that. Public aquariums won't take them because they pester all the other large fish in the tank - glomming on them for a free ride.

Jay
How unfortunate....you think it would be able to survive if released into the ocean ?

Sosuke

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't release it into the ocean. It may have a disease that could hurt the wild fish population and or spread parasites too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
In a 40 gal ??? Yikes.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 66 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back