20k radium: how blue

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Radium 20k will look very white compared to blue LEDs. It is a bluish White color to my eyes. I ran 400w on large reflectors about a foot off the water. I used the purple lumatek ballasts on super lumens.

I am setting up a 500 gallon and will be running four Cozumel sun reflectors with the same ballasts.

I always supplement with t5 and will also add some leds this time around.

I only run my halides for 5 hours a day, and run t5s for a couple hours before, during, and a couple hours after halides turn off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Superlumens setting will make it a little whiter? That's what I have heard about the 250hqi vs 250.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does reflector size and distance from water effect MH shimmer? Or other factors that effect mh shimmer for that matter.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Higher up smaller reflectors = more shimmer. Bigger reflector closer down = less shimmer
I can imagine how a larger reflector would cause less shimmer, but why does lowering it closer to the water also cause less?

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just seems to be my experience. Light sources mounted closer to the water seem to elicit less shimmer. My reflectors are so large relative to the water surface that even up 12” high I get virtually zero shimmer. Looks like my tank did under t5ho

Willylumplump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t run leds personally, but can tell you the radiums are whiter. I ran 250w on magnetic, then electronic ballasts. My maganetic ballast was super noisy. I loved the color, prefer it to the royal blue of the leds. I moved to t5 to get rid of the heat from the bulbs and thought halides would probably be going away.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say there M80s were loud, some say they were not, I wonder if this varies a little or how much is just what different people consider loud, @Willylumplump, if the m80s were in a closet do you think you could still hear them on the other side of a thin indoor wall?

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say there M80s were loud, some say they were not, I wonder if this varies a little or how much is just what different people consider loud, @Willylumplump, if the m80s were in a closet do you think you could still hear them on the other side of a thin indoor wall?

Well that's part of it.. The cores can vibrate producing audable noise based on manuf, age of ballast, ect, ect.. and some people are more sensitive to noise at different frequencies..

There is no absolute answer..oh and electronic ones can make noise as well.. just less common or higher (inaudable) frequency..

Anyways a few hints w/ (assumed) magnetics..

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear "get the m80 for the 250w radium" but for the 400w radium, is a magnetic ballast ie M135 or M155 better also? People seem to not mention it when discussing the 400w, lots of people using electronic, why is it different?

Also do people like the M155 or Eballast on 440 on the 400w radium, like they go higher on the 250hqi?

Willylumplump

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been about 6-7 years since I used them, but I had it on opposite side of wall, yes I could here it through the wall, it may have just been my unit, believe it was a Hamilton. The electronic produced a hum, but you would have to listen for it. If I remember correctly the magnetic ballast would run the bulb a bit bluer, and the electronic would save a bit electric and give slightly higher par.

thinking back, it was the core vibrating against the cover. I could squeeze it to make it less loud, but I never took it apart.

RCS82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was a switchable ballast that you just go from 250W HQI, or to 400W SE,
or to 400W Radium, or to 250W Phoenix lol. It's fairly straight forward but a little research is involved to match bulbs to ballasts. Hamilton is a great resource and can clear up a lot of questions. Has #jda been here? He knows this stuff inside and out.

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish there was a switchable ballast that you just go from 250W HQI, or to 400W SE,
or to 400W Radium, or to 250W Phoenix lol. It's fairly straight forward but a little research is involved to match bulbs to ballasts. Hamilton is a great resource and can clear up a lot of questions. Has #jda been here? He knows this stuff inside and out.
1584131762553.png

Luxcore makes one

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of which, what is this button and when do you need it?

1584132543070.png

OP
OP
L

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About this supposed m80 superiority for 250w radiums, is this still better than the hqi or 275w settings on electronic ballasts? Is there something more about the magnetic, aside from the watts that makes it better than the electronic?

When 400w radium come up there less of an insistence on using magnetic ballasts, more people say they the electronic is just as good although I've only read so many reviews. Why?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back