210 Clownfish Harem Build

knukles55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this looks like a well thought out tank as far as territory its gonna look awesome. one day when my clowns produce ( I have years to go) fry ill keep a batch for an upgraded tank in the future.

reefhobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1450815561.767375.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1450815574.702667.jpg

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The main reason the tank does not have fish yet is acquiring the 40 youngins from the same clutch at a reasonable price.

As far as maintaining the bioload, the less equipment the better imo. Going to experiment with both methods, mechanical and full biological. Using macro algae as a natural absorption and removal method, along with slowly getting my 55g converted to Xenia, for pound for pound nutrient exportation.

Right now the tank is auto fed 4 times a day with flake food, and twice a week with shrimp blend for the anemones. I'm hoping the biological and bacterial filters for this tank will be fine, with a small clutch of fish gradually getting larger, the system should be able to adjust at the same rate in theory. IE my display macro will grow faster, sump caulerpa will grow faster, and xenia should grow faster.

The only material I will run heavily though is carbon, and most likely double to tripple the recommended amount, with the nems and xenia and allelopathy being my biggest concern.

Most of what I setup is just theory though based off BRS's Harem, and my personal experiences with nems/clowns in all my tank builds, and from what I've learned regarding territory disputes and hierarchy resets with wrasses. I've artificially doubled fish populations in my previous tanks by putting a large mirror in front of it, for me this has helped get rid of aggression on fish being singled out, and actually resets the hierarchy and has allowed me to add additional fish without issue. Should I lose any clowns at anytime, this is how I plan to introduce more as replacements.

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a cracking tank and after seeing BRS set up their tank I wondered if more reefers would give it a go.

Will follow with interest.

Paul

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates for anyone following :).

Finally got my clownfish! Was extremely nervous with the transporting and acclimation, but everything went smoothly. Ended up getting help from an amazing LFS for all 40 of the clownfish youngins. Ended up with 40 black ice clownfish.
Included a little thank you video below to everyone that helped me get my tank together.
IMAG0797.jpg
IMAG0785.jpg

Some video of the acclimation and release of the clownfish.

traumajeff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spectacular brother! I like how you held true to the red pieces! One of my top 3 all time favs!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! That video was mesmerizing!

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen the BRS harem tank several times when I pick up orders and love it but I like yours better. I really like the macro algae. A truly beautiful example of a clown harem tank.

thenanoreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yet another tank to add to my Top 10 favorite reefs on this website. This is such a wonderful tank! Great idea with aqua-scaping and I absolutely LOVE the macro algae. Everything about this tank is perfect. Honestly.

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing build!!! Would love to do something like this.

I've honestly had a lot of fun just getting the tank together, searching for the most colorful anemones I could afford, and tracking down different types of Digitatas, and all the macro algae. I'm hoping to eventually get a Colorado sunburst anemone, but I have to wait till they come down a little more in price lol.

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing ,....! Keep us updated would love to know how this progresses.

Fishpalace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice indeed.

What was the other fish I saw and is that SPS I can see at top of rocks?

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice indeed.

What was the other fish I saw and is that SPS I can see at top of rocks?

The other fish is a Starry Blenny, he was the last fish from my old 125g, so I kept him around.

The top of the rocks is a bunch of different digitata sps colonies, and a few different montiporas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back