210 Clownfish Harem Build

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really beautiful!! I love clown fish, they are my favorite. All I can say is wow! :D

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the microscrubbing setup for anyone interested in it. I use this method to stablize PH at night, very low PH swing, and also to help move gunk to the skimmer to be removed.

IMAG0808.jpg

I use a Lee's airstone directly under my return pump cage.

IMAG0810.jpg

Top view of quick setup. Basically the air pump is just on a timer, bubbles get sucked in, chopped up and spit back out into the DT tank. Started with 8 hours a day, I'm now down to only 4. When first doing this the entire tank would be filled with micro bubbles, I've noticed a huge decrease in bubbles after running this for a couple months.

IMAG0811.jpg

Just an idea oh how the micro bubbles should look. The bubbles need to be very small for this to work. Watch for the salt creep.

apcoleman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank. I just read an article about the microbubbles and its nice to see someone that has had success with it.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks great!

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing tank. I just read an article about the microbubbles and its nice to see someone that has had success with it.

I love this system, it does a good job at getting rid of diatoms and cyano on rocks as well, when I first started I would turkey blast the rocks and watch all the gunk get carried to the surface by bubbles.

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A little update, as of today all 40 Clowns are alive and well, all eating flake and pellets now. A lot of gone off to find their own anemones to lay in during the day. At night time though they all still scatter back to the large Rose Bubble. Picked up a really nice Maxima clam I couldn't pass up, and added a few more Peppermint shrimp. I've noticed a lot of the smaller aiptasia are gone, just a couple bigger ones I'll take care this weekend. Hopefully getting a better camera soon for some macro shots.
IMG_20160204_180950.jpg
IMG_20160204_181719.jpg

Messing with my Panorama settings, trying to get a nicer close up shot of the whole tank. 100% blues.
IMAG0835_1.jpg

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some updates, Harem is doing great, all 40 still accounted for. Made a little adjustments to lighting and added some T5s ATI true actinics for supplemental lighting. Here's a little feeding frenzy video of the harem.. sorry for the vertical video lol.

Also added a giant True Rosebubble anemone, deflated and closed, it is 7" in diameter, can't wait to see this thing opened all the way. I'm also on instagram for some regular updates "onedigitalartist"

IMAG0167.jpg
IMAG0164.jpg
IMAG0170.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job! Love the video!

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sweet man. Great looking nems. Looks like the bubbles are definitely helping.

klp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job! Enjoying this thread! I am curious what effect the micro bubble have on the fish if any. I see them swimming around in the picture. Also exactly what are you using to get bubbles that small? Years ago we used balsa air stones to get them that small.

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great job! Enjoying this thread! I am curious what effect the micro bubble have on the fish if any. I see them swimming around in the picture. Also exactly what are you using to get bubbles that small? Years ago we used balsa air stones to get them that small.

Thanks Klp, for the bubbles I just use a Lee's Wooden airstone. But I believe any airstone ceramic or wood will do as long as it creates micro bubbles. The larger sized bubbles will not work.

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making a couple changes to my system, switching to twice a month water changes and twice a week anemone feedings with Astaxanthin soaked Mysis shrimp. Want to see of the powder helps bring out any of the brighter red colors in my anemones. Will update as I go.

IMG_20160329_211228.jpg

OP
OP
The Macro Guy

The Macro Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20160418_011645.jpg

Small update: Clownfish all healthy and doing well, some pairing up already and hosting some further away anemones. My largest anemone split, and there was a bit of chaos and confusion for a little. The clowns have all spread out, with a few staying behind waiting for the splits to open back up.

Lost my new big true rose bubble, found out later it was wild caught, so pretty much 50/50 survival rate from the start. I learned a good lesson and thankfully removed it in its begining stages of decomp, only tank raised anemones for my harem or future builds from here on out.

Back