210 gal sprung a leak... New build 300 gallon DD

dieselman490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back on June 1st, I was on my way to go diving when I got a call from my wife. I was thinking "Hmmm why is she calling me at 5:30am". I answered and she was frantically telling me our 210 gallon reef tank was leaking everywhere... So I tried to ask her questions to find out where it was leaking. I was getting no where- I told her to get a hose and start draining it outside and we're on our way. My 3 buddies, myself and the boat were on the way to my house. We arrived and come inside to a mess on the tile floor in our living room. The front seam separated in the middle. I now drain more water into my sump where I put a few fish. Then filled a Brute trashcan that I use for the tank to fill with live rock. All my corals and a few smaller fish went into a 40 qt tank I have. We then went diving after a 3 hr delay. A week later I buy 2 100 gallon Rubbermaid tubs -used one as a tank and other as a sump. I put all the fish from the sump and all my live rock in it. I will post pics of all of this. So then I was on the hunt for a new tank. Since I have to get a new tank might as well go ahead and get a bigger one, right? So I contacted a local guy and he had a 300 Marineland DD for a good price. I went and checked it out and it was in very good condition and no scratches- I was sold.

OP
OP
D

dieselman490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
leaky 210.png
leaky 210 2.png
leaky 210 3.png

OP
OP
D

dieselman490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After 2 weeks of organising the pick up of the tank and enough people to move it we got it loaded up and moved to the house. Now the fun begins 4 of us carrying it through a door way and around a wall and lifting it up into place. Then another 2 weeks go by and got it all cleaned up and ordered new bulkheads. I started the plumbing yesterday and finished most of it up today there is a few finishing touches. So now the tank is cleaned the 75 gal sump from my 210 is in place and 90% of the plumbing is done. We are about ready to put some water in it and some new live sand.

OP
OP
D

dieselman490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of the equipment and setups I plan on using - would like to hear opinions from others.

Lighting - 3 reef radiance LED (from 210) thinking about adding some t5 to go with the leds on this 36 depth.

Flow - 4 vortech mp40's

Protein skimmer - Eshopps 300

Reactors - Biopellet, BRS gfo & carbon

Controller - Apex (reef keeper previously)

Dosing - Kalk (ato) & mag.

Ato - Smart ato

The sand I used was Caribsea special grade live sand and the salt I used and have used for years is Reef Crystals.

I will be putting the live rock in and creating the new aquascape pics to follow.

OP
OP
D

dieselman490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be adding my fish from 210 tonight.

Lg. Naso
Blue hippo
Blue throat trigger
Clown trigger
Blue spotted grouper
Christmas wrasse

Want list

Blonde Naso (male)
Purple tang
Achilles tang
White tail bristle tooth
Some sort of schooling fish..

OP
OP
D

dieselman490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update! My fish and corals are in. I have now purchased a apex just trying to figure everything out. Today I will be building a control for all my electronics.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Dang sorry about the leak! Looking good though getting it back into shape!

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back on June 1st, I was on my way to go diving when I got a call from my wife. I was thinking "Hmmm why is she calling me at 5:30am". I answered and she was frantically telling me our 210 gallon reef tank was leaking everywhere... So I tried to ask her questions to find out where it was leaking. I was getting no where- I told her to get a hose and start draining it outside and we're on our way. My 3 buddies, myself and the boat were on the way to my house. We arrived and come inside to a mess on the tile floor in our living room. The front seam separated in the middle. I now drain more water into my sump where I put a few fish. Then filled a Brute trashcan that I use for the tank to fill with live rock. All my corals and a few smaller fish went into a 40 qt tank I have. We then went diving after a 3 hr delay. A week later I buy 2 100 gallon Rubbermaid tubs -used one as a tank and other as a sump. I put all the fish from the sump and all my live rock in it. I will post pics of all of this. So then I was on the hunt for a new tank. Since I have to get a new tank might as well go ahead and get a bigger one, right? So I contacted a local guy and he had a 300 Marineland DD for a good price. I went and checked it out and it was in very good condition and no scratches- I was sold.

I'm just letting you know, a lot of people have had leaks with the DD tanks. There was somebody who had the 200+ gallon version leak, had it warranted, and the 2nd one leaked also within 6 months. Most of the leakers were the one in the 200+ gallon range, not the 300. Just letting you know because you just had a leak. Just keep an eye on it. They always leaked below the bottom plastic.

Nice tanks. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

dieselman490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just letting you know, a lot of people have had leaks with the DD tanks. There was somebody who had the 200+ gallon version leak, had it warranted, and the 2nd one leaked also within 6 months. Most of the leakers were the one in the 200+ gallon range, not the 300. Just letting you know because you just had a leak. Just keep an eye on it. They always leaked below the bottom plastic.

Nice tanks. Good luck!
Yea I was a little nervous cause I did read about this brand having some issues. I wanted a new acrylic tank but I got an awesome deal on this tank. I will be adding the leak detector pads to my apex very soon.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 300 gallon deep demension tank that was less than 3 years old leak out the bottom seam.Did get there replacement 300 but I have heard about so many large marineland tanks leaking I am sorry I set it up.If I had known what I know now about marineland tanks I would went with A different tank manufacturer just watting for the day it happens again .Left for work that day at 6 am and tank was fine came home at 6 pm and tank had 1 inch of water left in it.Is this a new tank or used would definitely not go with used

OP
OP
D

dieselman490

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a 300 gallon deep demension tank that was less than 3 years old leak out the bottom seam.Did get there replacement 300 but I have heard about so many large marineland tanks leaking I am sorry I set it up.If I had known what I know now about marineland tanks I would went with A different tank manufacturer just watting for the day it happens again .Left for work that day at 6 am and tank was fine came home at 6 pm and tank had 1 inch of water left in it.Is this a new tank or used would definitely not go with used
dang that's no good! Well I'm all in on this one it was used but it looked like some one added more silicone on top of the factory. I will have leak detectors on the way for my apex. It has a make it a couple of years till I move and do my dream build.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be aware of it. New silicone does not adhear well to old silicone . If there was a leak there it will definitely fail.Old should definitely be cut out before new is put on

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back